Ruby on Rails (ROR) Software Engineer IV
Virtual, United States
Reporting to the Manager of Software Engineering, the Software Engineer IV is responsible for supporting the implementation and maintenance of our products, working as part of a cross-functional team to build new features while maintaining the overall quality of our applications.
At Cofense, we’re searching for amazing engineers to join our team. Our company provides end-to-end cyber-defense solutions that help protect organizations and their employees from the vast and growing threat posed by phishing-related attacks. We’re expanding rapidly and looking for talented engineers, like you, that care about building great products that solve big problems.
In this role, you will work as part of a cross-functional team to build new features while maintaining the overall quality of our applications. Working in an agile team environment, you will apply your knowledge and experience to establish standards, ensure code quality, and mentor others. Our approach to software delivery is ambitious, and asks for regular and active participation in defining the “what” and the “how”.
As a senior engineer, we’d like to see the following traits from you: technical capability, leadership, and community. For more insight into our thoughts on this topic, please see The Conjoined Triangles of Senior-Level Development [http://frontside.io/blog/2016/07/07/the-conjoined-triangles-of-senior-level-development.html].
- A continuous review of overall test quality, test coverage, and exception reports.
- Implement new features that emphasize clarity, robustness, and maintainability.
- Mentor others through pairing, code reviews, and regular knowledge sharing.
- Establish coding standards, driving best patterns and practices.
- Assist with planning efforts assessing technical feasibility of new product features.
- An effective communicator, you will work collaboratively and constructively with others in the team and broader organization.
- Work with the Principal Engineer to support proper architectural oversight of the product.
- Rotating on-call duties with other team members.
- Other duties as assigned.
The above statements are neither intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job described, nor are they intended to be a listing of all of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job. This job description is not a contract of employment, either express or implied. Employment with Cofense will be voluntarily entered into and your employment is considered at will. Cofense reserves the right to alter the job description at any time without notice.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Deep knowledge of Ruby and Ruby on Rails.
- A test-centric approach to development, in order to build and deploy with confidence.
- Comfortable at the command line, and with advanced git features.
- Longstanding familiarity with the Ruby and Rails communities — you stay on top of current news and changes to the language and framework landscape.
- Good understanding of application security and common vulnerabilities as expressed by the OWASP Top 10.
Education and/or Additional Experience:
- At least 2+ years of recent production experience developing and deploying large-scale Rails applications.
- Experience with relational databases and SQL outside of ORMs like ActiveRecord.
- At least 8+ years of professional experience in software engineering preferred.
- Have participated in an organization using an Agile-based approach to software delivery
- Experience in a multi-team organization and can articulate the strategies, tools, and methods in support of an SOA approach to software .
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Have taken part in building a software appliance or on-premise solution.
- Competitive salary
- 401k with company match
- Telecom bonus
- U.S. Telecommute