Registered Nurse (RN) Clinical Consultant at Unum
Title: Registered Nurse (RN) Clinical Consultant
Location: Remote – United States
Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world’s leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum’s financial protection benefits help protect more than 36 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum’s three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
The clinical consultant is responsible for reviewing, analyzing and interpreting medical information. Works collaboratively with claims professionals, on-site physicians and other resources in multiple settings to assess medical information and determine appropriate next action steps. Collaborates with healthcare providers to clarify functional capacity, recovery expectations, treatment plans and initiate return to work plans where appropriate. Delivers exceptional service in every interaction, taking full accountability for a positive experience.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Application of medical knowledge through assessment and synthesis of claim file information and the ability to offer balanced conclusions
- Ability to concisely communicate (written and verbally) complex medical issues in a fast-paced, multidisciplinary teamwork environment
- Collaboration with internal resources to determine which pertinent medical documentation is needed to accurately assess file direction
- Collaboration with external resources to establish partnerships, discuss treatment plans, and clarify functional capacity and assess file direction
- Provides coaching of non-medical staff to increase medical knowledge
- Operates with a sense of urgency and flexibility to meet the needs of a rapidly changing environment, while meeting performance standards set for quality and quantity of work
- Displays capacity and thirst for learning and developing broad business and leadership skills; openness to diverse ideas & experiences and has self-awareness re: strengths and areas of development.
- Required to maintain professional certifications, stays abreast of new trends in the medical field and completes other required educational activities
- Associate Degree in Nursing and active RN License is required but BS degree strongly preferred
- Relevant experience, including direct clinical work with adult clients for 2-4 years.
- Professional certification and insurance training preferred.
- Will consider Associate Degree with additional credentials such as CCM or CDMS and work experience in related fields
- Demonstrated analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal/negotiation skills.
- Strong team and collaborative skills. Ability to work in a fast-paced, team-based, corporate environment
- Ability to mentor others and to give and receive constructive, behaviorally based feedback with peers and partners.
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person’s race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!