Recruiter at Atticus Law
Los Angeles, CA or Remote
At any given time, 15 million Americans are experiencing a crisis that requires urgent help from our legal system or government. The right assistance can transform their lives. But today, most never get it. Atticus is a startup on a mission to change that.
We’re reinventing a broken space: the $100 billion market for legal services for individuals. Through proprietary technology, a top-tier team, and a network of the nation’s best local law firms, we’ve taken a rare and exclusive commodity — access to expert legal advice and referrals — and made it free and available to everyone. To clients, we’re a source of trusted guidance and an easy way to find and hire a great lawyer. To lawyers, we’re a source of vetted clients and a way to build a practice they love while doing good. Today, most of our work involves helping disabled Americans qualify for government benefits. We also help victims of accidents, misconduct, and violence recover by getting compensation from insurance.
We’ve raised $28 million from top VC firms like Forerunner (Jet, Glossier, Warby Parker) and True Ventures (Peloton, Fitbit, Ring) and helped thousands of people in need (see our 1,800+ five-star reviews). We’re small but moving fast — our team of 30 will grow to 60 this year — and we’re seeking great people to help in our mission.
Hiring is the most important thing we do. (In the past year we’ve interviewed 388 candidates, made offers to 21, and had 20 accept.) We’ve been lucky to build an extraordinary team in a largely ad hoc way, but as we scale faster — we doubled in size this year and will again next year — we need great people and processes in place.
That’s where you come in: as our staff recruiter, you’ll hit the ground running scaling out our team. We’ll count on you to:
- Work with our executive team to shape our hiring strategy and provide updates on progress towards hiring goals.
- Quickly fill a pipeline for critical hires via job postings, cold outreach, and other sourcing methods.
- Attract and convert great people; put together excellent outreach copy and use a tool like Gem to recruit on behalf of hiring managers.
- Own our ATS (Greenhouse) and the interview process, including both interview content and scheduling.
- Develop relationships and work closely with any needed recruiting firms.
This role is a rare opportunity for a talented recruiter early in their career to get deep responsibility for a key company priority. It won’t be easy — we need to fill a bunch of key roles, and we have a high bar for talent that we won’t budge on — but it will be rewarding. You’ll play an integral role in shaping both the company and our recruiting department. The expectation is that you’ll become a leader on the talent team within 12 months.
- You’ve had demonstrated success hiring top-tier talent at a great company with a high bar for people.
- You’ve hired technical roles (e.g., engineering, design, product) as well as non-technical ones, and feel comfortable learning new fields quickly. You can build personal connections with all kinds of candidates and sell jobs of all stripes.
- You’re deeply familiar with sourcing and hiring tools like LinedIn Recruiter, Greenhouse, and Gem.
- You’ve had real and quantifiable success hiring great candidates of color and can speak to the strategies you’ll use to build a diverse pipeline.
- You have a demonstrated commitment to doing good and helping people.
Bonus / Nice-to-Have:
- You’ve worked at an early-stage startup (pre-Series B) or a nascent division within a larger company, where you had to build a lot from scratch.
- You have experience hiring and managing retained search firms, contractors, and other types of external support.
We are strongly committed to building a diverse team. If you’re from a background that’s underrepresented in tech, we’d particularly love to meet you.
This is a rare opportunity to join a startup that has strong traction (substantial funding, well-respected backers, tremendous growth, and many happy customers) but is still small enough that you can have a huge impact and play a role in shaping our culture.
We’re a certified B Corporation tackling a critical social problem. Our mission to help people in need drives everything we do, and your work here will touch many lives.
We offer competitive pay — including equity — and generous benefits:
- Medical and dental insurance with 100% of employee premiums covered
- 15 vacation days & 16 paid holidays each year
- Free membership to OneMedical
- $1,000/year reimbursable stipend for education and training outside of work
- $600/year reimbursable stipend for exercise and fitness
- Up to $1,200/year student loan repayment assistance
- 401(k) and optional HSA
- Free snacks, drinks, weekly lunches, and regular team dinners/events/retreats
- Humble, thoughtful, smart, fun colleagues
Location & COVID-19
Today, half our team are in Los Angeles, a quarter (all from the client care department) are in Phoenix, and a quarter are elsewhere and fully remote. There are two options for this job:
- Live in Los Angeles, working a few days a week (or more) out of our beautiful office in the Arts District.
- Live wherever, work remotely, and travel to LA (on the company dime, of course) as needed to be with your colleagues — probably quarterly (or more if you want).
In short: You can do this job remotely, and we’re committed to empowering everyone with flexibility. But we care a lot about building a great culture and we think some interactions need to happen in person, so we put a lot of thought into retreats, offsites, and other ways to gather.
As for COVID-19: When the pandemic started, we immediately shifted to fully remote to protect our team and shuttered our office. Today, everyone on the team is vaccinated, and many come in often (though we don’t require anyone to). Going forward, you can expect that vaccinations will continue to be required for all employees and that if the omicron variant worsens or a new variant emerges that’s life-threatening for vaccinated people, we’ll return to fully remote temporarily.
(Note: We sometimes get asked about medical exemptions for COVID vaccination. Of course we’d make an exception for anyone who is medically unable to get the vaccine. But current CDC guidance is that almost no one falls into this category: the only groups advised not to be vaccinated are folks with a severe allergy to both polyethylene glycol and polysorbate, or who have a documented history of anaphylactic shock from past vaccines. We’re willing to consider good-faith reasons, but please know that for us this is a workplace safety issue and our bar is high when it comes to protecting our team.)