Quality Engineer at Descript, Inc.
San Francisco, CA | Montreal, Quebec | Remote
As a member of Quality Engineering at Descript, you’ll be driving quality strategy, testing, and execution in a collaborative Engineering team role. Using a variety of QA methodologies, you will strengthen our quality approach throughout the planning, testing, and release cycle, and help the team implement and expand on best practices. And you’ll experience the fun and reward of working with a fast-moving, creative team to deliver constant improvements to our passionate, multifaceted, and fast-growing customer base.
- Lead testing strategy for large-scale features, engaging with development teams to mitigate risks, reduce unknowns, and align on quality requirements
- Direct external QA teams to expand test coverage and detect critical issues through regular regression testing cycles
- Drive improvements to our methods of testing, reporting, quality tracking, and work management to help the team be more impactful and efficient
- Own the quality strategy for your Engineering team, leading initiatives and taking action to prevent regressions, delays to release, or production incidents
- Monitor, triage, and investigate field reports from various channels to quickly isolate and respond to new issues, and provide Engineering with the details to easily resolve
- 5+ years experience testing web and desktop applications, ideally consumer-facing.
- Experience leading and setting quality process and strategy in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to go technically deep as well as cover a wide range of shared engineering capabilities
- Experience developing test plans and reporting detailed quality status
- Familiarity with version control systems and unix
- Familiarity with CI/CD and cloud services is a plus
- Experience using or testing audio/video products or non-linear editors is a plus
Descript is building the next generation of tools for communicating with video and audio. We are a team of 70 (planning to double in 2022) with a proven CEO and the backing of some of the world’s greatest investors (Andreessen Horowitz, Redpoint Ventures, Spark Capital). Descript HQ is in San Francisco, and our AI research team, Lyrebird, is based in Montreal.
Descript is the special company that’s in possession of both product market fit and the raw materials (passionate user community, great product, large market) for growth, but is still early enough that each new employee has a measurable influence on the direction of the company.
As a small startup, Descript relies on employees who thrive in an environment where they are regularly called upon to translate high level goals into day-to-day priorities, and are regularly presented with technical and business challenges that extend beyond their comfort zone.
Benefits include a generous healthcare package, catered lunches, and unlimited vacation time. We currently have offices in San Francisco and Montreal, and are open to folks working remotely between PST and EST time zones. Whether you love WFH or can’t wait to get back to being in person, we’re interested in offering an environment that works for you.
Descript is an equal opportunity workplacewe are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We believe in actively building a team rich in diverse backgrounds, experiences, and opinions to better allow our employees, products, and community to thrive.