Prospect Research Coordinator at LCV - League of Conservation Voters
Prospect Research Coordinator
Reports To: Director of Prospect Research and Portfolio Management (DPRPM)
Positions Reporting To This Position: None
Location: Flexible (within the United States)
Union Position: Yes
Job Classification Level: B
Salary Range: $55,784-$65,439
LCV believes our earth is worth fighting for because everyone has a right to clean air, water, and a safe, healthy community. To ensure those rights are protected, we help people use their power to shape policy, hold politicians and polluters accountable, and influence elections.
For more than 50 years, LCV has grown into a potent political force for protecting our planet and everyone who inhabits it. We have built a powerful national movement with 30 state affiliates, and grassroots and community organizing programs across the country.
The Prospect Research Coordinator enhances the individual and institutional major gifts fundraising program of LCV and its sister organization, LCV Education Fund. The Prospect Research Coordinator is primarily responsible for preparing donor research summaries and briefings, coordinating and executing the work of the relationship mapping project, assisting with portfolio reviews, and ensuring accuracy of CRM records. This position is an opportunity for a self-motivated, curious, analytical individual to build a career in fundraising with a prominent environmental organization.
- Conduct thorough research of public records, databases, media, internet, and proprietary resources to identify information regarding existing and prospective donors.
- Produce coherent briefing documents (written reports) summarizing research conclusions for LCV’s President, Executive staff, and the Major Gifts team prior to donor contact such as meetings and events.
- Collaborate around and contribute to LCV’s efforts to build an anti-racist fundraising department including building a younger and more racially diverse donor base and identifying funders who align with our organizational values (accountability, anti-racism, community, innovation, learning, and sustainability).
- Work with the Directors of Development Partnerships to create strategies around connections or pathways to getting visits with new to LCV prospects.
- Create relationship maps and find connections between our universe and potential donors and document them in Salesforce.
- Act as the administrator and point person for the relationship mapping software and ensure lists are imported and kept up to date and that maps are available as requested.
- Assist the Associate Manager of Prospect Research with Portfolio review preparation, including working with Excel and utilizing formulas and pivot tables, and post-review research.
- Work with the DPRPM to continually improve prospect research skills through one on one training and outside resources.
- Contribute to department and organization-wide strategic planning efforts.
- Keep LCV’s CRM updated and accurate with relevant research and contact information and maintain appropriate donor and research codes on records.
- Develop and maintain a familiarity with LCV’s existing top donors and prospective donors, proactively share new information when identified.
- Maintain and update the Prospect Research and Portfolio Management manual.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Work Experience:
- Required: Must have at least 2+ years of work experience with a nonprofit or campaign. Preferred: The ideal candidate has prospect research or biographical research experience.
- Required: Immaculate attention to detail. Highly organized. Strong verbal and written communication skills. Ability to understand LCV and LCVEF’s theory of change and role in the larger environmental and democracy movement to better connect us to potential funders. The ability to take in information from multiple sources, evaluate it, and summarize its significance. Must be able to multitask and be flexible in shifting priorities based on urgent needs. Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information and material in a discreet manner. Interest in the core mission and strategic vision of LCV. Basic Excel. Experience working in a CRM (Salesforce, Raiser’s Edge, etc.).
- Preferred: Experience with Salesforce. Advanced Excel (formulas and pivot tables). Ideal candidate has calculated curiosity and the discipline to find what they need, analyze it, and clearly communicate relevant conclusions. Ability to adapt to new online, project management, and information management tools. An aptitude for critical thinking and problem solving. Experience with online research tools such as LexisNexis, iWave, WealthEngine, RelSci, Foundation Search, etc. Experience with project management software like Wrike or Asana.
- Cultural Competence:
- Required: Demonstrated awareness of one’s own cultural identity, views about difference, and the ability to learn and build on varying cultural and community norms. Commitment to equity and inclusion as organizational practice and culture. Understands how environmental issues intersect with racism, economic and social inequality in the U.S. and has a passion for working to dismantle these systems.
- Preferred: Ability to make decisions about data and how it can be collected, maintained, and presented through an equity lens.
- Working Conditions: This job operates in a professional office environment, and routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and audiovisual systems. This position is largely sedentary, often standing or sitting for prolonged periods. Must be able to work in a fastpaced environment and successfully meet deadlines. This position has a flexible location. Some travel is required for meetings and conferences. Applicants need to be located in and legally authorized to work in the United States. Please note that most LCV staff are currently working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic, through April 30, 2022.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a racially just, equitable and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information, or any other protected status. LCV is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.