Proofreader at Macmillan Learning
Contract Proofreader (Remote)
Job Category: Editorial
Requisition Number: CONTR002252
This position will be employed through Headway consulting firm working remotely for Hayden-McNeil (part of Macmillan Learning Curriculum Solutions). Seasonal proofreaders will be working remotely with their own computer using Adobe Acrobat Reader.
*This position is eligible for remote employment excluding Colorado.*
Start: October 3, 2021
End: December 16, 2021
Pay Rate: $25/hour
Hayden-McNeil, part of Macmillan Learning Curriculum Solutions, publishes custom laboratory manuals and textbooks for colleges and universities throughout the country. The proofreader will read author manuscripts against typeset copy to ensure that an author’s work has been set correctly and that any author-requested revisions have been made. They will also correct for spelling, grammar, consistency, etc. This, however, is neither a copyediting nor writing position.
- Proofread custom laboratory manuals and textbooks according to house style guidelines
- Check pagination, table of contents, running heads, running feet
- Check for accuracy in numbered lists, figure numbering, table numbering, etc.
- Check for consistency in spelling, hyphenation, and word usage
- Proof illustrations for correct spelling and to ensure that the intended image has been placed correctly
- Ensure that author-requested revisions have been accurately made and new errors have not been introduced
- Other proofreading duties as assigned
- Associate’s degree or higher in English, Journalism, Communications, or related field highly preferred.
- Prior proofreading experience required.
- Experience proofreading biology and chemistry texts helpful.
- Some knowledge of The Chicago Manual of Style also helpful.
- Candidates must be extremely detail-oriented and able to focus for long periods of time.
This position will be employed through Headway consulting firm working remotely throughout the US.