Project Manager 1, NextGen Ag 1
Company: Black & Veatch Family of Companies
We believe real value is powered by the unique skills and experiences of our professionals. The interchange of ideas from a diverse group of people gives our teams an expanded perspective and the ability to find better solutions for our clients. The mission of Black & Veatch’s Growth Accelerator is to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable infrastructure. We have an exciting new leadership position in our fast-growing NextGen Ag team. The mission of NextGen Ag is “Better Food, Better Planet”. They are commercializing disruptive technologies in the food and agricultural fields. More succinctly, I like to say they are trying to solve world hunger. If you are passionate about this opportunity and the potential to make a massive difference, we are looking for you!
Req Id: 2876
Job Title: Project Manager 1, NextGen Ag 1
Business Unit Sector: COR-GROWTH ACCELERATOR
Work Location: USVRTL
Opportunity Type: Staff
Relocation eligible: No
Full time/Part time: Full-Time
Contract Hire Only for this Project: No
Job Family: Project Management
Job Code: 2963
Job Grade: 001
Salary Plan: PMT: Project Management
U.S. FLSA: Exempt
Black & Veatch’s NextGen Agriculture team helps bring new agricultural technologies to life. From vertical farming to cell-based meats, B&V has the engineering and construction solutions to bring novel food production methods to market at scale. Reshaping our food system will require massive change. B&V has the experience and skillsets to unlock the potential of the next generation of food technologies.
NextGen Agriculture is focused on providing solutions for several new emerging technologies. From drones to smart farm apps, AgTech spans a wide variety of diverse solutions. Black & Veatch’s NextGen Agriculture team focuses on AgTech solutions that allow us to leverage deep knowledge and expertise from parallel industries.
We have been and continue to experience tremendous growth both domestically and internationally where this role based ideally in Kansas City (virtual office is an option as well) can make a significant impact to deliver the Growth Accelerators solutions needed to assist B&V leadership in our mission statement of “Building a WORLD of Difference”.
For the NextGen Agriculture Business for Black & Veatch this Project Manager 1 will manage all aspects of small Engineering Procurement Construction (EPC)/Service projects, including risk to cost, schedule, quality. Responsible for business development activities… Responsible for the day-to-day successful execution of contracted engineering, procurement, and construction scope in the areas of performance, financial metrics, planning, schedule, quality, contractual compliance, safety, and client satisfaction. Provides for the successful staffing of the project. Manages and leads small teams of multi-discipline professionals. Coordinates and integrates the activities associated with the engineering, procurement, construction, and startup elements of the project team, including the activities of all third-party companies contributing to the initiative.
- Business Development – Builds relationships with potential clients
- Project Complexity – Manages small, minimally complex projects
- Number of Projects and/or Clients – Manages one to a few clients and/or projects
- Client Management- Obtains new/repeat business on small projects
- Risk to B&V (Profit & Loss Responsibility)- Manages minimal risk
- Acts as a project manager. Among responsibilities is management of a project team. The individuals comprising this team may vary by project..
- Acts as a project manager. Among responsibilities is management of a project team. The individual comprising this team may vary by project.
- Bachelor of science degree.
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
- Building Construction Management experience: Process engineering or process scale-up building experience preferred
- Typically 5 years experience
- Preferred Skills & Competencies:
- Business Development – Foundational – Identifies client requirements.
- Develops and maintains relationships with clients.
- Conducts market research.
- Writes and presents project estimates and proposals including scope, cost, and schedule according to client requirements and bid processes.
- Business Acumen – Foundational – Negotiates contract commercial terms.
- Manages project budgets, costs, and receivables. Manages contracts and legal issues. Analyzes and reports health metrics as a basis for improvement. Applies knowledge of policies and regulations to project scope. Builds relationships with key stakeholders. Applies value creation.
- Execution – Foundational – Uses B&V project management phases & methodology including, project initiation, planning, execution, monitoring & control, and closeout to direct work. Manages changes and risk on scope, cost, schedule, quality, and safety based on available resources and client requirements. Manages constructability and procurement. Manages warranty plan.
- Leadership – Foundational – Communicates clear expectations, goals, and vision. Manages performance of direct reports. Motivates, coaches, and mentors professionals. Delegates project work. Practices behaviors supporting diversity and inclusion. Manages conflict and collaboration to achieve results.
- None specified
- Builds networks
- Develops talent
- Customer focus
- Directs work
- Drives vision and purpose
- Financial acumen
- Manages complexity
- Manages conflict
- Tech savvy
- Values differences
- Business insight
Work Environment/Physical Demands
Typical office environment, typical construction environment, extreme weather conditions, high noise level, safety hazards (electric currents, working on scaffolding and high places, exposure to chemicals), atmospheric conditions (fumes, odors, dusts, mists, gases, poor ventilation). Sitting, walking, talking, hearing, reading, writing, keyboarding, driving, filing, reaching, stooping, crouching, bending, standing for extended periods of time, lifting or carrying up to 40 pounds.
Black & Veatch Holding Company, its subsidiaries and its affiliated companies, complies with all Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) affirmative action laws and regulations. Black & Veatch does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender Identity and expression, disability, veteran status, pregnancy status or other status protected by law.
Job Segment: Engineer, Construction, Process Engineer, Engineering