Project-Based Curriculum Editor/Producer
Shmoop is a digital curriculum company that makes learning, teaching, and test prep materials that aredare we say itawesome, thrilling, spectacular, magnificent, unforgettable, and…smart. Really smart.
To help carry out Shmoop’s (mostly benign) plans for world domination, we’re looking for a talented humanities curriculum editor/producer who flips over Frost, goes ape for antonyms, and dotes on democracy. You will be editing online curriculum content for students in high school who are studying English, Government, or History.
- Editing engaging lessons-including lectures, activities, and assignments-for online publication
- Assigning and sourcing images
- Collaborating and communicating with team members in all departments
- Meeting multiple tight deadlines
- Copy Editing
- Plagiarism checks
- Document indexing
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Government, History, or another humanities-based major, with strong academic performance (GPA 3.7+)
- Knowledge of basic English or Government concepts, such as grammar, federalism, and due process
- Familiarity with writing for non-academic audiences and ability to express concepts to that audience in an engaging and approachable way
- An eye for detail and a knack for organization
- Competency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and ideally, Latex
- Excellent writing and editing skills, including a good sense of humor
- Advanced degree in humanities or education
- Prior editing experience
- Teaching experience
Our offices are located in Mountain View, California, but you can work from wherever you want (whenever you want, and also wearing whatever you want). This is a freelance, contractor position, and you’ll be paid per completed project.
Send us your wittiest cover letter and rsum; we’ll be waiting with bated breath. If we like what we see, a writing and editing sample will be requested. Applications without cover letters will not be considered.