Program Director at Nava
Program Director (DC or Remote)
- WASHINGTON, DC or Remote
- NAVA ROLES – DELIVERY – PROGRAM MANAGEMENT
Nava is at the forefront of reimagining how our government serves its people, and we’re looking for a Program Director to lead the delivery and client engagement efforts on a portfolio of strategic contracts.
You’ll lead the execution of multiple delivery teams to create positive execution environments, exceed the expectations of our government partners, and ensure that we successfully deliver contract scope on schedule and within budget. You’ll collaborate across projects and across the organization to proactively anticipate and solve problems across delivery, execution, expectation setting, culture, processes, and contract management. You’ll work closely with senior leadership to ensure that clients are happy, and to assist in identifying and evaluating new opportunities.
You are a strategic problem solver and have the ability to make thoughtful decisions while considering their impact across multiple teams, both internally and externally. You are an empathetic communicator and relationship builder – you take a service-oriented approach to supporting the program team and our clients. You are highly organized and care deeply about building and growing a sustainable, culture-conscious business.
- You can work remotely, or work from Nava’s office in DC.
Opportunities and Challenges
Nava provides opportunities to do meaningful, impactful, mission-oriented work. As a public benefit corporation, we have a social mission written into our founding charter. The people who work at Nava have a fiduciary duty to our stated mission: to improve access, effectiveness, and simplicity of government services. We see this as an opportunity, but it is also important to highlight the challenges we face in advance.
You will be working within the government ecosystem, which means working dynamically, with other government contractors and civil servants. Working with people outside of Nava means you’ll likely encounter different working styles, cultural norms and be responsible for maintaining order and focus without authority. At the same time, working as part of a larger team allows us to deliver on projects of larger impact, scale and complexity.
The government contracting ecosystem is a compliance-driven multi-stakeholder environment – particularly when compared to the operating environments for companies of our size in the private sector. Successful members of our team understand how to be innovative within this environment. Finding and recommending ways to improve the ways in which government digital services are procured and built is one of the highest-leverage ways we fulfill our mission.
What you’ll do
- Set and uphold standards for delivery excellence and client service.
- Proactively detect risks and work collaboratively with the delivery team and program stakeholders to effectively resolve them (issues can span delivery, process, culture, expectation setting, staffing, contract milestones, finances).
- Support the creation of execution environments built on mutual trust between government partners and our team.
- Engage our clients on a continuing basis to ensure their needs are met or exceeded, understand their vision, collaboratively solve issues, and communicate our progress transparently.
- Scale efforts through a team of project managers and other functional delivery leads
- Ensure that Nava is delivering contract scope on time within budget, act as the budget owner for your program in coordination with the finance team, and coordinate necessary contract modifications
- Maintain awareness of the broader landscape and potential for new opportunities and risks.
What we’re looking for
- A proactive, service-oriented (or “servant leader”) approach to program management – internally with Nava teammates, and externally with clients.
- An extremely adaptable problem solver who can deal with multi-dimensional challenges involving many organizations, processes, cultures, and technologies.
- An empathetic relationship builder with a collaborative and positive mindset.
- A strategic approach to delivery planning and contract management over the medium-term and long-term.
- An iterative approach to execution that emphasizes rapid team progress.
- Ability to manage contract finances in coordination with the finance team.
- Ability to maintain broader situational awareness beyond the immediate team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience: At least 12 years of experience managing complex agile projects in a government context.
- Education: Due to contractual requirements, this role requires a Bachelor’s Degree (in any discipline).
- Residency: Lived in United States at least 3 years out of the last 5 years
- You will be required to obtain a public trust clearance.
We’re a small team working to radically improve our government, so everyone that joins us has a direct impact on the direction and success of Nava. We are stewards – we hold a deep responsibility towards the systems that we work with. We are a community – we value collaboration both within our teams and with the many hardworking people within government. We offer generous benefits and equity.
We care deeply about diversity and inclusion at Nava. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Note: We participate in E-Verify. Upon hire, we will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. This role is required to work from the contiguous United States.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!