Privacy Counsel at Toast
Title: Privacy Counsel
- Location: Boston, MA or Remote
Now, more than ever, the Toast team is committed to our customers. We’re taking steps to help restaurants navigate these unprecedented times with technology, resources, and community. Our focus is on building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. And because our technology is purpose-built for restaurants, by restaurant people, restaurants can trust that we’ll deliver on their needs for today while investing in experiences that will power their restaurant of the future.
Toast seeks a self-motivated, driven and experienced privacy attorney with domain-specific expertise across a wide range of privacy subject matters. The Privacy Counsel’s primary role will be to support the Head of Privacy with the development, implementation and management of a comprehensive global privacy program. The ideal candidate will be a team player that is comfortable supporting a fast-growing business and partnering with various functions and business units across the organization. This is a great opportunity for someone to gain actual hands-on experience within a number of privacy-specific domains and to help build out and manage Toast’s privacy function.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- Support the Head of Privacy with the development, implementation and management of a comprehensive global privacy program (including policy and template development, individual rights compliance, training, third party management, incident response etc).
- Provide specialist advice on all aspects of privacy law and regulation within the business, including but not limited to the CCPA/CPRA, the GDPR, GLBA, HIPAA, marketing (CAN-SPAM, TCPA and online advertising) and data breach notification requirements.
- Provide privacy and security-focused drafting and contract negotiation support to the commercial legal team for new vendor, partner and customer agreements (and third-party management generally).
- Support the development and ongoing maintenance of our personal data inventories and flow diagrams.
- Manage the privacy email account and address complaints and/or individual rights requests as they arise.
- Monitor and assess the impact of new privacy and security regulatory developments and the resulting impact to Toast’s business units.
- Partner closely with all functions (e.g. product, engineering, marketing, HR) and business units (e.g. Guest, FinTech, Employee Cloud, Commerce) to provide both project-specific and day-to-day support.
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- A J.D. from an ABA-accredited U.S. law school, and membership in good standing to at least one state bar
- 2-4 years of related data privacy experience (preferably within a technology company)
- CIPP or similar certification preferred
- Broad subject matter experience across the privacy spectrum and familiarity with digesting and implementing global and sectoral privacy legislation (e.g. CCPA/CPRA, the GDPR, GLBA, PIPEDA, HIPAA)
- Experience negotiating privacy and security provisions in technology agreements
- Experience managing large cross-functional privacy projects preferred
- Policy drafting experience (both internal and external-facing) preferred
- Ability to break down complex and often ambiguous requirements into actionable advice
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, diverse, inclusive and open-minded office environment and contribute to the thriving culture
- Sense of humor and easygoing attitude preferred
- Bread puns encouraged but not required
At Toast, we believe that the success of our business and our customers comes only with the success of our employees.
Our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are empowered to succeed, Toast succeeds in achieving our mission to enable our community of restaurateurs to delight their guests, do what they love, and thrive. The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals. At the heart of this is our hospitality mindset of ensuring everyone feels welcomed and included, and our Toast values and behaviors that best define who we are as Toasters.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!