Privacy Attorney at Root Insurance
- Remote (United States)
We have a team-driven culture where each of us knows the goals and objectives that need to be achieved. Our team knows our business strategy inside and out and is always finding new ways to drive success by continuously improving our product through relentless curiosity and innovation. We look to our team for their energy, unique talents, and commitment to give their very best.
Reporting to: Senior Deputy General Counsel
What you’ll be doing.
- Monitor and understand existing and new privacy laws, regulations and other mandates related to the protection, use, collection, sharing and storage of data (including personal), including the impact of such laws, regulations and mandates on the Company’s businesses. Relevant jurisdictions include the U.S., the UK, Canada, Mexico, South America and Asia.
- Deliver high-quality and timely data privacy and information security-related advice to internal stakeholders and offer pragmatic actionable guidance and solutions on the application, impact and implementation of applicable privacy and data protection laws and tech company policies, working collaboratively across multiple teams.
- Draft privacy notices and other consents.
- Advise whether security incidents need to be reported to regulators and/or data subjects.
- Partner with product managers and engineers to support app development, e-commerce, digital marketing and partnership relationships by advising on security and privacy matters.
- Advise other commercial attorneys on privacy considerations in negotiating various contracts, including, software, SaaS and other technology agreements (as licensor and licensee), digital and channel marketing agreements, distribution and referral marketing agreements, test agreements, platform policies and terms, and engagement letters.
- Review and make recommendations for negotiating Master Services Agreements, new SOWs, renewals, and amendments with current vendors and assist with onboarding of new vendors.
- Support department projects including the implementation and utilization of the contract lifecycle management solution, compliance and data-privacy related initiatives.
- Assist commercial attorneys with the privacy-specific elements of standard contract templates, training materials and legal negotiation playbooks.
- Review and advise with respect to the applicability and sufficiency of existing practices and, where appropriate, help redesign programs, resources and processes in line with applicable data privacy laws, data security regulations and best practices.
What we’re looking for.
- Undergraduate and law degrees; licensed attorney in at least one U.S. state
- Relevant technical certifications such as a Certified Information Security Manager (CISM), Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), or Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP) or other relevant certifications offered by the International Association of Privacy Professionals a plus
- 4+ years of privacy and/or product counsel legal experience with an emphasis on privacy-related matters
- Able to demonstrate relevant knowledge of data protection laws in the U.S., UK and EU, in particular, the General Data Protection Regulation and California Consumer Protection Act
- Familiarity with information technology developments, including app and SaaS product development; interested in developing expertise at the intersection of privacy and AI (machine learning)
- Institutionally savvy, articulates all facets of an issue with clarity, digests complex information quickly and accurately, ability to communicate issues and risks effectively
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to multi-task by prioritizing and tracking multiple projects and deadlines. Extremely detail-oriented with strong editing skills
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate as an effective team member and with minimal supervision to maximize team results
At Root, we judge people based on the merit of their work, not who they are. Very few (if any!) people will fit every description; so if you are passionate about what this role entails, and are excited by solving real problems, we encourage you to apply; we want to learn about you, and what you can add to our team!
Who we are.
Root Insurance is the nation’s first licensed insurance carrier powered entirely by mobile. We were founded on the belief that the services you need for everyday life should serve you better. That’s why we base insurance coverages on you, not your demographic. It’s the way insurance should be. And it’s all conveniently in an app.
What draws people to Root.
We’re a venture-backed technology company. Our early success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our product is only as good as the people building and promoting it. We look for individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and a highly analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
- Autonomy. For assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless.
- Impact. By challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business.
- Collaboration. We encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn.
- People. We are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!