Principal Software Engineer III at Paylocity
Principal Software Engineer III
Paylocity is an equal opportunity employer.
Paylocity is a cloud-based software company that creates customized HR solutions for small to mid-sized organizations. Our workplace enhances communication and enables employees to connect, collaborate, and create from anywhere. Our award-winning culture ensures everyone has a voice and feels truly welcome. Join Paylocity as we shape the future of technology and the workplace!
We give our employees what they need to succeed, including great benefits and perks! We offer medical, dental, vision, life, disability, and a 401(k) match, as well as perks that support you, your family, and your finances. And if it’s career development you desire, we provide that, too! At Paylocity, people matter most and have always been at the heart of our business.
Help Paylocity enhance communication and enable employees to connect, collaborate, and create from anywhere with a position in Product & Technology!
Want to develop the strategies and principles needed to deliver compelling software? Join our team and help us enhance our all-in-one software platform, elevate our one-of-a-kind technology, and improve the employee experience.
Take your career to the next level at one of G2’s Top 100 Software Companies. Explore our Product & Technology positions to see where you fit!
About the Team
Paylocity’s product portfolio is one of the fastest-growing HCM product suites serving SMBs in the US. Our mission is to help every business thrive by providing them with the best people practices baked into our product.
The engineering organization supporting Payroll and Time/Labor help to power two of Paylocity’s highest volume products, responsible for XX million check and punches per week. As we continue to accrue customers rapidly, we are strategically emphasizing on product scale, engineering automation, modernization of tech stack, and cross-product efficiency to continually delivering new customer experiences. We are leaning heavily into APIs to power not only our experiences but also third party integrations. The organization continues to push towards shifting to AWS, scale our architectures to delight millions of users, and evolve our Engineering for the next phase of growth.
What you will do
As we move towards a cloud-based future, you will need to:
- Be Product Engineering’s technical thought leader for Engineering bets spanning from a few months to multiple quarters in scope
- Get your hands dirty, dive into code and solution past challenges
- Balance between engineering excellence, customer value, and sustained delivery by collaborating with leadership, triad peers, and sister teams
- Understand the current technical product landscape – architecture, bottlenecks, points of failure, traffic patterns, room for optimization in business logic implementations
- Solve highly technical, complex problems for Products from inception of ideas to launch
- Plan and drive the decomposition of monoliths into scalable components
- Define architectures, contribute to roadmap, and identify strategic engineering efficiency patterns to continuously support rapid customer growth
- Define foundational standards, provide guidance for Engineering Excellence, and mentor your peers and juniors
- Provide feedback via decision-making frameworks for proposed changes from across the org
- Engage with critical product and infrastructure issues to drive improvement in our customer experience
- Demonstrate continuous learning to raise the bar for yourselves, your team, and the systems you will own
What you will bring
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science or a similar technical field
- Fluency in C#, Java, or a similar modern, object-oriented programming language
- Domain expertise in developing with AWS systems and capabilities
- Experience of successfully leading, architecting, launching production environments for large, enterprise systems in the cloud
- Experience with managing a large-scale SaaS production environment for availability, reliability, and resiliency
- Solid understanding of modern REST API standards and concepts
- Hands-on experience using data-stores (relational or non-relational) at scale
- Experience with designing highly available distributed systems that operate at scale
- Fluent written and verbal communication skills that enable collaboration with technical or business-centric peers
- Familiarity with agile software development methodologies
- Experience with product migration from data-center to cloud
- Experience with delivering technical talks at a conference or peer-reviewed academic work in the field of computer science
What Success looks like
- Successful decomposition of monolithic product architectures into distributed systems. Outcomes include:
- Large MVC codebases move to distributed architectures in a strategically phased manner
- pervasive API-first product development across the organization
- High degree of re-usability for Engineering capabilities through partnership with our Platform team
- Engineering successfully migrates 5k SQL stored procs to managed code in a safe and sustainable manner
- Faster time-to-market for new cross-product use-cases and new product-market fit ventures
- 10x operating scale in production as compared to today due to architectural strides
- Engineering Excellence in the cloud at the forefront of our day-to-day ways of working
EEO and accessibility Statement
Paylocity is an equal opportunity employer.
Paylocity is committed to the full inclusion of all individuals. We comply with federal and state disability laws and make reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities. To request reasonable accommodation in the job application or interview process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
This role can be performed from any office in the US. The pay range for this position is $125k – $220k/yr; however, base pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. This position is eligible for an annual bonus and restricted stock unit grant based on individual performance in addition to a full range of benefits outlined here. This information is provided per the relevant state and local pay transparency laws for the location in which this position will be performed. Base pay information is based on market location. Applicants should apply via
Browse Related Categories:
Want Access to 30,000+ More Remote and Flexible Jobs?
Part-time to full-time,
freelance to employee
More Career Fields
career coaching & more