Principal Software Engineer, Fullstack at Stitch Fix
Title: Principal Software Engineer (Fullstack) Shopping Core
Location: Remote, USA
At Stitch Fix, our goal is to help our customers look great and feel great about themselves by revolutionizing how people shop. In a time-starved world where shopping often feels overwhelming, our business connects customers to clothes they love. Whether it’s helping someone dress for success at a new job or taking the stress out of packing for a family vacation, we fix clients’ closets and they love us for it!
We’ve built unique, innovative software for merchandising, warehouse and inventory management, remote styling, and logistics. We leverage vast amounts of client data to make decisions throughout the company. All of this results in a simple, powerful offering to our clients and a very successful business. We believe we are only scratching the surface of our opportunity, and we’re looking for incredible people to contribute!
Principal Software Engineer (Fullstack) Shopping Core
ABOUT THE ROLE
In the Shopping Core Engineering group, we are leveraging our personalization power to build an online shopping experience as special and unique as individual style. As a Principal Software Engineer, you will help shape the future of how Stitch Fix’s clients browse and purchase items they love. You will also be responsible for planning, building, and maintaining features and software in support of that future.
Silos are for wheat, so you won’t work alone. Building valuable and sustainable software is a group activity. You will work within a distributed team of 6-8 software engineers and cross-functional partners including product, design, algorithms, etc. You’re expected to have strong written communication skills and be able to develop strong working relationships with coworkers and business partners. You will need to know when and how to listen to, influence, coach, share with, advocate to, and lead others.
This is a remote position available within the United States. We operate in an agile-inspired manner; collaborating across multiple time zones. We welcome people from all backgrounds: self-taught, bootcamp grads, history majors, consultants, parents, computer scientists, athletes, musicians, oxford comma proponents, and more. We build modern software with modern techniques like continuous delivery, DevOps, and service-oriented architecture. We focus on high-value products that solve clearly identified problems but are designed in a sustainable way so that value continues to deliver in the long term. In fact, some of our proudest moments come from solving business problems without writing a line of code.
- Operate as an engaged member of the engineering team – leading meetings, attending ceremonies, providing input on technical design documents & project plans, pairing with other engineers to work toward a solution, etc.
- Collaborating with stakeholders while leading the technical discovery, decision-making, and execution of complex and/or critical projects within the team or across multiple engineering teams.
- Model consistently delivering sustainable results against measurable goals.
- Proactively communicate status updates or changes to the scope or timeline of projects to stakeholders and leadership.
- Provide technical leadership, mentorship, pairing opportunities, timely feedback, and code reviews to encourage the growth of others.
- Actively invest in the professional development and career growth of your teammates and peers.
- Framing business problems using high-quality data analysis and empirical evidence for leadership.
- Finding new and better ways of doing things that align with business priorities.
- Influencing other engineers toward right-sized solutions.
- Owning and prioritizing the team’s technical backlog.
- Participating in on-call rotations and improving the on-call experience for others.
- 7+ years of experience as a software engineer.
- Hands-on experience with evolving modern web stacks at scale (e.g. Node, React, Ruby on Rails, Golang, Postgres, GraphQL, Redis, Kafka, Authentication…).
- 1+ years of experience in technical leadership – including driving technical decisions and guiding broader project goals.
- You are bright, kind, and motivated by challenge
- You have excellent analytical skills as well as communication skills both verbal and written.
- You take initiative and operate with accountability.
- You are motivated by solving problems and finding creative client-focused solutions.
- Might have experience working remotely alongside a distributed software engineering team.
- Might have experience with GraphQL schema design.
- Might have experience with evolving a resilient distributed service architecture.
OUR TECH STACK INCLUDES…
- GraphQL and Postgres
- Ruby on Rails
- RabbitMQ and Kafka
YOU’LL LOVE WORKING AT STITCH FIX BECAUSE WE…
- Are a group of bright, kind, and goal-oriented people
- Operate with a client-focused mindset
- Are a successful, fast-growing company
- Are a technologically and data-driven business
- Are at the forefront of tech and fashion, redefining shopping for the next generation
- Are passionate about our clients and live/breathe the client experience
- Get to be creative every day
- Have a smart, experienced, and diverse leadership team that wants to do it right & is open to new ideas
- Believe in autonomy & taking initiative
- Fully support remote work
- Offer transparent, equitable, and competitive compensation based on your level to help eliminate bias in salaries, as well as equity and comprehensive health benefits
- Are serious about our commitment to life-work balance, and have generous parental leave policies