Principal Software Engineer – Remote
R&D – CORE ENGINEERING
Are you looking to track down and tackle mission-critical problems head on? Then we’re looking for you!
This is your chance to disrupt a multi-billion-dollar industry, change how the world accesses information, and reinvent the way businesses deliver amazing customer experiences.
Couchbase is looking for a Principal Software Engineer to join their Sync Gateway team. Sync Gateway is a data synchronization server that enables Couchbase Server to act as a replication endpoint for our mobile database Couchbase Lite. Sync Gateway maintains up-to-date copies of documents where users need them additionally providing access control and security.
What Will You Do?
- As part of our core development team you will be working on the design and implementation of the next generation of features.
- Day to day duties will include programming, feature design, bug fixing and code reviews.
- Research industry and academic leading-edge algorithms for distributed consensus, replication, consistency, availability and scalability.
- Liaise directly with the Technical Support team to help debug and resolve high priority customer issues.
- As well as the product itself, you’ll be challenged to improve the tools and processes we use every day.
- Help create user-focused documentation for the features you create.
- Mentor junior members of the team.
- Work with senior members of the engineering team and product management on new features.
- Like open source? So do we: Couchbase and its engineers are active open source contributors.
- MS Computer Science or commensurate experience
- 10+ years programming experience
- You know open source software development practices and ideally have of track record of open source contributions
- You’re a self-motivated, independent, and high-performance person. You learn quickly and you enjoy worthy challenges
- You have excellent analytical skills and a passion for pinning down technical issues and solving problems
- You’re a good communicator and an excellent teammate
- You like working in organizations that strive to have a good balance between doing it right and moving quickly
- Experienced in concurrency / multi-threaded programming
- Demonstrated experience leading a complex project/feature from design through implementation through delivery
- Able to demonstrate experience in large scale, distributed systems and understand the techniques involved in making these systems scale and perform
- Has the ability to work in a fast-paced environment and to be an outstanding team player
- Excellent architecture and design skills
- Familiarity with distributed networked server systems that run cross-platform
- Working knowledge of version control systems (e.g. Git, Subversion, CVS)
- Experience with the GO programming language
- Familiarity with REST interfaces a plus
Couchbase’s mission is to be the platform that accelerates application innovation. To make this possible, Couchbase created an enterprise-class, multi-cloud NoSQL database architected on top of an open source foundation. Couchbase is the only database that combines the best of NoSQL with the power and familiarity of SQL, all in a single, elegant platform spanning from any cloud to the edge.
Couchbase has become pervasive in our everyday lives; our customers include industry leaders Amadeus, AT&T, BD (Becton, Dickinson and Company), Carrefour, Comcast, Disney, DreamWorks Animation, eBay, Marriott, Neiman Marcus, Tesco, Tommy Hilfiger, United, Verizon, Wells Fargo, as well as hundreds of other household names.
Couchbase’s HQ is conveniently located in Santa Clara, CA with additional offices throughout the globe. We’re committed to a work environment where you can be happy and thrive, in and out of the office.
At Couchbase, you’ll get:
- A fantastic culture
- A focused, energetic team with aligned goals
- True collaboration with everyone playing their positions
- Great market opportunity and growth potential
- Time off when you need it.
- Regular team lunches and fully-stocked kitchens.
- Open, collaborative spaces.
- Competitive benefits and pre-tax commuter perks