Principal Data Scientist – Bioinformatics – Sustainability at Nutrien Ag Solutions
Title: Principal Data Scientist, Bioinformatics – Sustainability
- Location: United States
Principal Data Scientist (Bioinformatics) – Sustainability – Champaign, IL; Loveland, CO or Remote
Come join Nutrien Ag Solutions and our team of agronomic experts, world-class scientists, and growers working to provide whole-acre sustainable solutions to meet our customers’ needs. We build digital solutions for sustainable agriculture by unlocking the potential of climate smart products and sustainable practices to reduce Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions, sequester carbon, and capture additional value for its growers with downstream carbon trading integration.
At Nutrien, our Purpose is to grow our world from the ground up and we do so with safety and integrity as our core values. Nothing is more important than sending our people home safe, every day.
Nutrien Ag Solutions is the retail division of Nutrien™, the largest crop inputs company in the world. As part of our collective mission of Feeding the Future, Nutrien Ag Solutions provides full-acre solutions through our trusted crop consultants at more than 2,000 locations in North America, South America, Europe and Australia. For more than 150 years, we have been helping growers achieve the highest yields with a wide selection of products, including our proprietary brands: Loveland Products, Inc.; Proven®Seed and Dyna-Gro®Seed; as well as financial, custom application and precision ag services.
We harvest the best. Diverse views and experience make us strong. We look for people who have a safety-first mindset, who are collaborative team players, who deliver on their commitments, who are innovators in search of a better way, and who believe in inclusion.
Working at Nutrien Ag Solutions will provide you an opportunity to help us Feed the Future, and grow your career.
What you will do:
- Research and develop soil microbiome profiles and their influence on various cultivars in various combinations of soils and environments
- Design and execute analyses from data gathering through to delivery and presentation of results
- Develop mechanisms for the automated validation and cleaning of data prior to transformation into canonical representations, along with scalable exception handling mechanisms for dealing with data issues
- Build and maintain large scale genomic reference databases suitable for de novo investigation as well as both cross-sectional and longitudinal studies
- Deliver reliable prototype implementations for use in pilot studies, feasibility studies, and as reference implementation for Engineering
- Be a thought leader for data science methods for bioinformatics and genetics
- Communicate insights to a diverse audience including agronomists, microbiologists, machine learning experts, and business partners
- Collaborate with soil microbiologists on in silico approaches to primer design for assay development
What you will bring:
- Bachelor’s Degree required; experience in lieu of education may be considered
- 7+ years of relevant work experience required
- Extensive experience applying statistical methods to observational genomic data or similar
- Experience with the management of large-scale genomic data (VCF, BAM, etc.)
- Background in molecular biology, genomics, or similar, combined with experience with data science and machine intelligence
- Technical proficiency with the development and deployment of NGS pipelines for functional analysis, including shotgun metagenomics sequencing, RNAseq, etc., using common reference databases (i. e. KEGG, PFAM, CAZy, SEED)
- Demonstrated proficiency with Python; experience with Matlab, Julia or R strongly desired
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary Range: $91,000 – $130,000. This range is estimated for the Principal Data Scientist (Bioinformatics) position in Loveland, Colorado. Actual salary and benefits may differ based upon location.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!