Press Officer at Friends of the Earth
Friends of the Earth is a hard-hitting, progressive, environmental organization that pulls no punches and speaks sometimes uncomfortable truth to power. It’s an approach that has worked for five decades to produce important victories that help protect our planet and its people. We’re part of Friends of the Earth International, a federation of groups working in more than 70 countries on today’s most urgent environmental and social issues.
To accomplish our mission, Friends of the Earth is working at the nexus of environmental protection, economic policy, and social justice to fundamentally transform the way our country and the world value people and the environment.
The Communications Department maintains Friends of the Earth’s brand and works to tell the organization’s stories, using traditional, social, digital, and visual means to achieve campaign objectives. The Communications Department at FOE encompasses press and traditional media, web and social media, and graphics and multimedia. We develop communications strategies for the organization’s campaigns and work with our colleagues to share their important work with the world. Working closely with our colleagues in the programs and organizing departments, we craft messaging and create visuals that help audiences understand wonky, complex issues that impact people and the planet.
Friends of the Earth is looking for a Press Officer to generate media coverage to help advance the organization’s mission. The successful candidate will work with Friends of the Earth program staff to support and publicize their campaigns through media relations, journalist cultivation, op-ed writing and more. You should consider this role if you love media relations and have excellent written and verbal communications with an exceptional eye for detail while working under pressure. This role reports to the Communications Director and works in partnership with the other Press Officers. This role is open to candidates based at our offices in Washington D.C, or to remote candidates across the continental United States.
Principal duties and responsibilities:
- Create and implement media strategies for campaigns and rapid response opportunities
- Develop messages, talking points, pitches and media materials including press releases, advisories, op-eds, and statements
- Cultivate relationships with journalists through research and direct contact, and manage press lists
- Serve as a point of contact for journalists, fielding inquiries and ensuring a timely response
- Utilize social media for journalist outreach
- Monitor media coverage and prepare regular evaluation reports
- Collaborate with colleagues and outside partners whenever necessary; be a good team player
- 4-6 years of experience in media communications for progressive advocacy causes
- Strong writing and copy-editing skills
- Experience pitching and working directly with journalists
- Experience and training in developing media-directed messaging.
- Experience with media contact databases
- An associates or bachelor’s degree
- Experience working for an environmental organization or climate justice organization
- Existing relationships with journalists covering relevant issue areas (energy, environment, climate, agriculture)
- Experience working on agriculture and food issues as they relate to the environment and climate change
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!