Politics News Writer
Location: (Multiple states)
Department: Blavity Inc.
Min. Experience: Entry Level
The Blavity Inc. Family is seeking a top performing Politics News Writer to join our organization!
We are looking for a part-time, remote news writer for Blavity Politics to work directly with the Political Editor to produce 3-5 news articles daily. The successful candidate will have a strong interest and be knowledgeable in politics and how it relates to communities of color.
We are searching for a talented news writer who is dependable and thorough to join our Blavity Politics team. This ideal candidate should be a self-starter who will be responsible for pitching, researching and writing several news articles a day, as assigned to them by the Politics editor.
This position is a part-time position paid hourly and with an estimate of 15-20 hours a week.
What You’ll Do at Blavity Politics…
- Source and produce 5 political news stories daily
- Pitch timely ideas and news stories that will help Blavity Politics become a top destination for fresh coverage
- Assist the Political Editor in creating the daily newsletter
- Conduct interviews with sources, work efficiently to deliver stories and ensure all stories are fact-checked and accurate.
What You Have…
- At Least 1 year experience as a writer for a news publication
- Strong fact-checking and researching skills
- Proven communication and writing skills
- Ability to proactively prioritize, manage, and complete multiple projects simultaneously within time constraints and with strong attention to detail
- Have a broad and deep understanding of U.S. politics and how it pertains to communities of color.
- Ability to write comprehensive news stories under a tight deadline
- Be tuned into not only what is happening in D.C. but what is happening locally in cities around the country that Blavity Politics should be covering.
- Passion for Blavity Politics and what we do
- You must possess a solid grasp of English and Black culture references with the ability to integrate it in writing and editing (AKA know how and when to use colloquial words and phrases with wit and humor when necessary)