Platform Editor, Politics
SAN FRANCISCO, NY OR REMOTE
At Medium, words matter. We are building the best place for reading and writing on the interneta place where today’s smartest writers, thinkers, experts, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas; a place where ideas are judged on the value they provide to readers, not the fleeting attention they can attract for advertisers.
Every single day, hundreds of writers and experts come to Medium to share their stories and insights on U.S. politics and national affairs. We’re looking for an editor who has expertise and enthusiasm about U.S. political trends and policy. This editor will identify and feature the best self-published stories on politics and national affairs. They should also be ready and willing to jump on news and find great self-published writing on a given event.
The ideal candidate for this position can predict tomorrow’s national headlines. They know U.S. politics and policy inside and out, and can quickly discern between an intelligent insight and a rehashed hot take. They can be relied on to ensure Medium is contributing to the day’s conversationor starting new onesin a way that our subscribers find informative, accessible, and valuable. Areas of focus will include the Trump administration, federal policy, the 2020 federal election, and even writing from politicians themselves.
This editor knows great writing when they see it, but they also have a knack for making things better. They love to read and have a sixth sense for what other people want to read; they have a critical eye and can deliver constructive editorial feedback that takes a piece from good to great. They should also be passionate about details.
This editor has an eye for quality, is a skillful communicator, and displays excellent editorial judgment.
What will you do?
- Scour our network daily for excellent self-published writing on U.S. politics and current events that deserves a wider audience
- Edit features, columns, and essays on those subjects
- Establish and deepen relationships with writers, experts, and political players publishing independently on Medium
- Ensure that Medium’s politics coverage is relevant and informative
- Build a network of on-platform experts and writers
- Provide feedback and direction to our curation team as it pertains to politics and national coverage
- Bring good ideas to work every single day
Who are you?
- You have a minimum of 3-5 years of editing experience in journalism and/or online media
- You can work quickly and juggle many stories, relationships and tasks at one time
- You have substantial experience in politics, national affairs, and related fields
- You intuitively understand what makes a high-quality Medium post about these topics and what doesn’t
- You have a reputation for establishing productive relationships with writers of different backgrounds
- You care about words and can deliver well-edited stories on a deadline
- You are curious and display excellent taste and judgment
- You are a display-copy whiz who understands the importance of framing a story for maximum reader engagement
- You are a straightforward and effective communicator
- You like working on a team and can help improve other people’s ideas through collaboration and brainstorming
- You believe that good stories can come from anywhere
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun yet challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media. Medium is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested? We’d love to hear from you.