People Operations Manager
FINANCE & OPERATIONS – OPERATIONS
App Academy is building world-class training programs that help students from all backgrounds transition into careers in tech. Our core offering is a 12-week immersive coding and job search program that cultivates full-stack web developers and was named one of the top coding bootcamps in the world in 2018. We have been profiled in The Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Bloomberg as a driving force behind the changing face of tech education in America. Our unique model — we defer tuition until our students graduate and secure jobs afterwards — aligns us with the success of our students. Join us on our mission to empower people to transform their lives.
About the Role
The People Operations Manager will work closely with the company’s leadership team to support App Academy’s vision, mission and values by building employment brand, delivering an outstanding employee experience, and most of all, creating and cultivating exceptional company culture.
This is a role for an experienced HR professional. You will focus on building and developing the People Operations function including employee engagement and recognition, leadership and employee development, organizational effectiveness, talent acquisition and development, safety and health, and compensation and benefits. You will develop many processes from scratch, gain buy-in, and execute in a rapidly changing environment. Success in this position requires the ability to operate in a fast-paced startup, outstanding communication skills, self-motivation, sound judgment and the ability to partner with employees across all functions and levels of the company. Your focus on engagement and your passion for employee development are critical to App Academy’s success and growth
- Establish and execute company-wide performance management programs, feedback, promotion, and compensation cycles, as well as other critical people programs in partnership with people managers
- Collaborate with high-performing and relatively autonomous HR & Operations team currently composed of two Operations Associates, an Operations Manager and Finance Associate
- Serve as a thought partner and advisor to a Leadership Team that is developing People Operations-related policies, programs and initiatives in a rapidly changing environment
- Manage and constantly improve the employee experience throughout the employee lifecycle (onboarding, benefits, culture & team-building, performance cycles, learning & development, diversity & inclusion, and offboarding) with the goal of increasing employee satisfaction and average tenure across the company
- Own talent acquisition and recruiting for a growing company: hiring, onboarding, and supporting team members, playing an active role in developing expertise. Find and manage resources to hire better people faster
- Own HR compliance in close partnership with legal and finance on everything from EEO-1 filings, 5550s, OSHA, Wage and Hour laws, and other federal, state and local compliance
- Act as the first point of contact for HR-related concerns for employees
- Own payroll administration and other operations functions and tasks as needs ebb and flow
- Ultimately, the People Operations Manager ensures that the company builds a successful employment brand, outstanding employee experience, exceptional company culture, and streamlined HR processes.
- 5+ years experience in HR as an HR Generalist, People Ops Manager, Business Partner, Recruiter, or equivalent
- Ability to move HR programs and processes forward in a rapidly changing environment that requires gaining buy-in, optimizing systems, and moving quickly
- Understanding of the needs of startups, high growth companies, and building out HR processes from scratch
- Take responsibility for student success — Everyone works together to enable student success.
- Follow the numbers — Decisions should be backed by data.
- Embrace a growth mindset — View challenges and failures as opportunities to improve.
- Start with why — See the big picture and question the status quo. If there’s a better way of doing things we should investigate it.
- Create an inclusive environment — We work together to promote empathy and respect amongst all students and staff.
- Build with urgency — Our products positively change lives.
- Competitive salary
- Employer-sponsored health insurance, dental, and vision plans
- Unlimited paid time off
- Flexibility with work location. Can work from our SF or NY offices or a remote location.
- Generous paid family leave program
- The opportunity to work with driven and talented colleagues committed to lifelong learning
App Academy is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. We believe strongly that technology companies benefit from diversity and encourage applicants from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.