Parenting Editor, Lifehacker
New York, NY or Remote
Gizmodo Media Group is the publisher of the web’s most original and fearless media brands, including Gizmodo, Earther, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Jezebel, Deadspin, Splinter, Jalopnik and The Root. As part of G/O Media, we reach an audience of +120 million visitors a month — more than one-third of all Americans.
About the Role:
Lifehacker, GMG’s lifestyle site with 14 million monthly users, is looking for an Editor for its parenting vertical, Offspring. The ideal applicant is super-curious, as interested in the latest techniques in swaddling as they are in the best method for corralling wayward Legos. They can explain, in a way that’s entertaining and engaging, stuff that might come off as boring in lesser hands. They have strong opinions; a witty, conversational writing voice; and an unstinting editorial eye. In short, this candidate geeks out on parenting.
They should be completely comfortable with the editorial process—from pitch to publication to promotion. If you’ve got big ideas on how to end picky eating or feel a deep and abiding urge to find the best way to make a birds-and-bees conversation 30% less awkward, we’d like to talk to you.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Pitch and write 2-3 parenting-related stories per day
- Recruit, assign to and edit freelance writers
- Contribute to Lifehacker’s podcast, The Upgrade, as well as team video initiatives
- Preside over lively Offspring Facebook Group
- Respond nimbly to cultural and news events with related assignments
- 3+ years experience writing and editing for a fast-paced online publication
- Must be organized, detail-oriented, and a careful editor and writer
- Be familiar with the parenting writer community and eager to expand Lifehacker’s freelance team
- Capable of turning around stories ranging from short news pieces to longer features at a quick pace
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
This position can be based in New York City or remote.