Paralegal-Contracts Specialist II at D-Wave Systems
Title: Paralegal-Contracts Specialist II
Location: US National, Canada
FULL-TIME, PERMANENT/ REMOTE
D-Wave is the leader in the development and delivery of quantum computing systems, software, and services and is the world’s first commercial supplier of quantum computers. Our mission is to unlock the power of quantum computing by delivering customer value with practical quantum applications for problems as diverse as logistics, artificial intelligence, materials sciences, drug discovery, cybersecurity, fault detection, and financial modeling.
D-Wave’s systems and quantum cloud services are being used by some of the world’s most advanced organizations, including Volkswagen, DENSO, Lockheed, and Los Alamos National Laboratory. We have also appeared in Time Magazine, MIT Technology Review, Forbes, INC Magazine and Wired.
About the role:
We are seeking a paralegal or contract specialist with broad-based corporate commercial legal experience to join D-Wave’s Legal department to work on D-Wave’s global legal issues and support D-Wave’s legal operations. You’ll report to D-Wave’s Lead Corporate Paralegal.
You’ll play an important role in our corporate office enabling our internal business teams and forming strong relationships throughout. For candidates coming from a legal firm without in-house experience, training on in-house projects, such as contract preparation and supplier contract reviews will be provided.
What you’ll do:
- Provide general operational assistance to the Legal department and liaise with other business units to address departmental needs in a timely manner.
- Prepare standard contracts using D-Wave’s existing templates, such as nondisclosure agreements and SAAS agreements.
- Do a first review of supplier terms and conditions to assist D-Wave’s legal team to identifying risk areas.
- Assist the Legal team in finalizing various commercial agreements (e.g. collaborative research agreements, financing transactions, technology agreements, consultant agreements, etc.), including coordinating signatures.
- Prepare and review documentation required for corporate entity maintenance and other general corporate matters.
- Help build, manage and maintain our commercial contracting tools and processes, including maintaining our contracts management system and ensuring that it is complete and up to date, facilitating efficient workflows and controls, and assisting in the contract life from initial request to signature and then tracking and managing contract deadlines.
What you’ll bring:
- Legal Skills: 3- 5 years of experience as a paralegal or contract specialist on a commercial team with a corporate transactional practice at a law firm and/or corporation with contract drafting experience. D-Wave is happy to support someone in learning the ropes of one or the other, for candidates who only have commercial law firm or only corporate experience.
- Keen Curiosity: Excited about working in new areas of law and keeping abreast of applicable world-wide laws, regulations and industry guidance that impact D-Wave’s contracts and business.
- Self-Motivated and Goal Oriented: Identify tasks and prioritize a high-volume workload with limited resources in a global, matrixed environment with urgent priorities from multiple stakeholders, achieving the right things to a high standard and on time with minimal supervision.
- Relationship Building: Support internal customers by combining critical thinking skills, a high level of initiative and proactive approach to problem solving.