Paralegal at Thumbtack
- Remote, United States
Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Legal Team
Our legal team is responsible for managing risk across the business while bringing our product and operations to life in a way that is consistent with our mission. We partner with finance, engineering, product, marketing, operations and more to craft a marketplace that delivers business to our pros while helping millions of customers get their projects done each year. Our job is to enable our team across the company to do their best work while keeping the company’s best interests at heart.
About the Role
As a paralegal you will support all legal team functions, with a particular emphasis on commercial contracts, CCPA compliance, intellectual property and product copy. You will work closely with the Marketplace Trust & Safety team on CCPA compliance matters and with our attorneys across the United States on a variety of engaging and challenging legal issues
- Work with the Legal and Marketplace Trust and Safety teams to develop and implement key risk mitigation processes
- Help process commercial contracts with procurement team and legal counsel
- Manage vendor relationships with respect to privacy law requirements
- Communicate and collaborate effectively across teams and roles to educate team about risks while enabling people in their work
- Support the Legal team’s organizational and administrative efficiency
If you don’t think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we’re looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Strong problem-solving and strategic thinking skills
- Strong writing skills
- Independently motivated, while collaborative in execution
- Ability and openness to receiving and acting on constructive feedback
- Judgement to differentiate issues requiring lawyer involvement vs. those that can be managed without
- Experience with legal administration tools, including board management software (e.g., Serengeti), contract management software (e.g., Ironclad) and billing software (e.g., Simple Legal)
- Previous CCPA or other privacy law experience
- Previous commercial contracts experience
- Previous intellectual property management experience
- Paralegal certification
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!