Outpatient Medical Coder at Cooper Thomas
Remote Part-Time Outpatient Medical Coder
HIM | Remote Home Office | Full Time
Cooper Thomas, LLC, a leading provider of medical coding services to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), has immediate openings for experienced Part-Time Outpatient (OP) Coders with at least 2 years of multi-specialty OP coding experience for part-time W-2 and/or 1099 remote coding positions, with the opportunity for a flexible schedule. Previous experience with VA is required, whether as a VA employee or with another VA contractor. You must be able to pass an initial entrance exam and code at a minimum of 95%accuracy on an ongoing basis. This work will be performed remotely in your home office. Preference will be given to those candidates who meet the qualifications below and have an active Background Investigation, PIV Card, eToken, and DMA or Multi-farm CAG Account.
- Must be able to code multi-specialty OP, Radiology, and Ancillary encounters in ICD-10, CPT, and HCPCS
- Must be proficient and have extensive experience and background in E/M coding
- Must be willing to commit to 20 hours a week and 200 OP encounters coded
- Knowledge of CPT and ICD-10 guidelines
- At least two (2) years of VA or other relevant coding experience, either as a VA employee or with another Government contractor supporting VA
- Must code an average of 10.0x OP encounters per hour with 95% accuracy
- Active credentials as a certified coder upon hire and must maintain active credentials
- Ability to follow site-specific coding guidelines and VHA National Coding Guidelines
- Familiar with E/M calculator and ability to use this tool proficiently
- Formal training in anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, pathology and disease processes, pharmacology, health record format and content, reimbursement methodologies and conventions, rules and guidelines for current classification systems (ICD, CPT, HCPCS)
- Ability to accurately perform the full scope of outpatient multi-specialty coding including minor surgical procedures, pathology, diagnostic studies and procedures, physical and occupational therapy and all outpatient setting encounters; skill in interpreting and applying health information guidelines; and good judgment in completing assignments
- Work must be completed within required time deadline.
Accepted Coding Credentials:
American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA):
- Registered Health Information Admin (RHIA) / Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT)
- Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) / Certified Coding Specialist-Physician (CCS-P)
- Clinical Modification/Procedure Coding System Trainer
American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC):
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC)
- Certified Outpatient Coder (COC)
- Certified Professional Coder-Hospital (CPC-H)
- High School Diploma or equivalent
Cooper Thomas, LLC is a leading provider of health information management services. Established in Washington, DC in 2003, Cooper Thomas offers a competitive salary and benefits package, opportunities for quality bonuses, and the opportunity for growth. The selected candidate will be required to undergo a background investigation. Veterans encouraged to apply. Equal opportunity employer.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!