Open Source Engineer at Sauce Labs
Location: Remote, Work from Anywhere
Title: Open Source Engineer
About Sauce Labs
- In today’s software-centric economy, speed is everything. Before Sauce, testing took too long, it was tedious, expensive to maintain, and placed focus only on monotonous infrastructure issues.
- Our automated testing cloud — and now our growing toolchain that enables many types of testing in dev, test, and production — helps developers and testers create amazing web and mobile applications at DevOps speed.
- Sauce Labs has a deep Open Source heritage — we were founded by the inventors of Selenium, and later helped invent Appium.
- And today we embrace and contribute to many testing frameworks and continue to push forward in our commitment to Open Source.
- As part of that commitment, we have a dedicated Open Source Program Office composed of respected leaders from the OSS community.
- We are looking for an insanely talented developer and open source contributor who can help us imagine, invent and promote the future of web and mobile testing.
- As a key member of the Open Source Program Office at Sauce Labs, you will have the opportunity to contribute to and lead Open Source projects that are critical to the mission of Sauce Labs.
- We represent the company in developer and testing communities, and evangelize our mission and contributions to Open Source.
- We manage and oversee the usage and creation of Open Source software within the company and ensure that everyone uses and distributes Open Source software in a responsible way.
- Finally, as a dedicated team reporting to the CTO, we have the rare opportunity to focus on inventing the future of testing: through R&D projects, through participation in the broader Open Source community, and through collaboration with other teams in Sauce Labs.
- This is an unusual role. The right person will not likely be strong in every area — but is capable of growing into the role.
- First and foremost, we are looking for imagination and passion combined with deep technical expertise and excellent communication skills.
- Be, or become, a key person in relevant (especially in testing) Open Source projects and communities
- Enable our product teams to understand and use the latest developments in relevant Open Source projects
- Speak about the Open Source work done at Sauce at various conferences.
- Partner with our product teams to understand and influence the future of testing
- Identify broader trends and needs in testing, and develop related R&D projects
- Produce high quality, maintainable code with excellent test coverage and documentation
- Experience in leading or collaborating in relevant Open Source projects
- You are a passionate web and/or mobile developer
- You are a great community ambassador and can drive hard technical conversations towards a good solution
- You enjoy speaking at conferences and communicating through blog posts, webinars, workshops, etc.
- Good understanding of modern software delivery tools and methodologies (GitOps, CI/CD, Kanban)
- Desired: understanding of web automation standards like Selenium WebDriver and WebDriverIO and mobile automation technologies such as Appium, XCUITest, and Espresso
- Desired: Experience in an OSPO