National News Editor – Part-time
Requisition ID: 2019-4613
Job Locations: US-
Position Type: Regular Part-Time
Nexstar Media Group Inc. is the largest TV station operator in the country. With the reach of 171 television stations in 100 markets addressing nearly 38.7% of US television households, and a diversified, growing digital media operation. Nexstar Media Group Inc. is the parent company of Nexstar Broadcasting Group, Inc. & Nexstar Digital LLC.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
This is a part-time position providing content to Lakana’s network of TV station websites around the U.S. This editor will gather and compile news from a variety of outlets, including sites within the company’s network, wire services and other news sources. S/he will also copy edit a variety of articles from our client stations while on duty. We require someone who writes with speed and accuracy and who has strong news judgment with an emphasis on the importance of breaking news.
The schedule for this position may include both weekday and weekend hours. Duties and hours are subject to change. This work can be done remotely. Remote editors must maintain a reliable high-speed Internet connection and telephone service (including long-distance service, if applicable).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
COMPETENCIES (KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES) REQUIRED:
- Ability to work independently and under tight deadlines.
- Ability to deliver integrated compelling news stories quickly and accurately, using sound news judgment.
- Ability to manage (or learn to manage) video and livestreams.
- Ability to communicate effectively with clients.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to create online multimedia packages (or ability to learn to do this quickly).
- Effective editing and application of AP stylebook quality standards.
- Successful completion of writing and editing tests.
- Flexibility in schedule and adaptability to change.
- Effectiveness in handling multiple tasks and frequent interruptions.
- Solution-oriented work ethic.
- Four-year college degree in journalism, publishing, communications, English or related coursework preferred.
- Professional newsroom experience.
- Familiarity with television station operations preferred.
- Experience with Web content management systems, social media and wire services.
TRAINING: To be provided on various content management systems and other essential business tools.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Requires sitting and computer-related activities for extended periods of time.