Medical Review Nurse – Commercial at Performant Financial Corporation
Medical Review Nurse (Commercial) US Remote
- Location: Remote U.S. – Reports to San Angelo, TX Office
- Status: Regular Full Time
The Medical Review Nurse (Readmissions and SNF) performs medical claims audit reviews. As a MR Nurse, you will join a team of experienced medical auditors and coders performing retrospective and prepayment audits on claims for Government, and Commercial Payers. You will work in a fast paced and dynamic environment and be part of a multi-location team.
In this role, you will be responsible for:
- Auditing claims for medically appropriate services provided in both inpatient and outpatient settings
- Applying appropriate medical review guidelines, policies and rules
- Documenting all findings referencing the appropriate policies and rules
- Generating letters articulating audit findings
- Supporting your findings during the appeals process if requested
- Working collaboratively with the audit team to identify and obtain approval for particular vulnerabilities and/or cases subject to potential abuse
- Work in partnership with our clients, CMD colleagues, and other contractors on improving medical policies, provider education, and system edits
- Keep abreast of medical practice, changes in technology, and regulatory issues that may affect the our clients
- Work with the team to minimize the number of appeals
- Suggest ideas that may improve audit work flows
- Assist with QA functions
- Participate in establishing edit parameters
- Participate in establishing new issue packets
- Participate in development of Medical Review Guidelines
- Assist with training team members
- Interface with and support the Medical Director
- Cross train in all clinical departments/areas
- Other duties as required to meet business needs
Note – All employees and contractors for Performant Financial may and/or will have access to Sensitive, Proprietary, Confidential and/or Public data. As such, all employees and contractors will have ownership and responsibility to report any violations to the Confidentiality and Integrity of Sensitive, Proprietary, Confidential and/or Public data at all times. Violations to Performant’s policy related to the Confidentiality or Integrity of data may be subject to disciplinary actions up to and including termination.
Required Skills and Knowledge:
- Strong preference for experience performing utilization review for an insurance company, Tricare, MAC or organizations performing similar functions
- Experience with utilization management systems or clinical decision making tools such as Medical Coverage Guidelines (MCG) or InterQual.
- Experience with ICD-9, ICD-10, CPT-4 or HCPCS coding.
- Knowledge of insurance programs program, particularly the coverage and payment rules.
- Ability to maintain high quality work while meeting strict deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Not currently sanctioned or excluded from the Medicare program by the OIG.
- Active unrestricted RN license in good standing.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks including desk audits and claims review.
- Must be able to independently use standard office computer technology (e.g. email telephone, copier, etc.) and have experience using a case management system/tools to review and document findings.
- Must be able to manage multiple assignments effectively, create documentation outlining findings and/or documenting suggestions, organize and prioritize workload
- Work independently and with team members effectively.
- Completion of Teleworker Agreement upon hire, and adherence to the Agreement (and related policies and procedures) including, but not limited to: able to navigate computer and phone systems as a user to work remote independently using on-line resources, must have high-speed internet connectivity, appropriate workspace able to be compliant with HIPAA, safety & ergonomics, confidentiality, and dedicated work focus without distractions during work hours.
- Sit/stand/ walk/8-10hr/day
- Lift/carry/push/pull under and over 10lbs occasionally
- Keying frequency, handling, reaching, fine manipulation
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of three years diversified nursing experience providing direct care in an inpatient or outpatient setting.
- One or more years experience performing medical records review.
- One or more years experience in health care claims that demonstrates expertise in, ICD-9/ICD-10 coding, HCPS/CPT coding, DRG and medical billing experience for an Insurance Company or hospital required.
- Must submit to and pass background check.
- Must be able to pass a criminal background checks; must not have any felony convictions or specific misdemeanors, nor on state/federal debarment lists.
- Must submit to and pass drug screen. Performant is a Drug-Free Workplace.
- Performant is a government contractor. Certain client assignments for this position may require additional background and/or clearances.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!