Tracking Code: 414-897
Are you a journalist with experience covering the media sectors?
Do you love to discuss the latest trends and developments in all major facets of the media?
Are you accustomed to meeting multiple daily deadlines?
Then we can’t wait to hear from you.
SmartBrief is seeking a full-time editor to create e-mail newsletters that summarize news about the media. Candidates would need to be available to start as early as 6:30 a.m. ET, Monday through Friday.
The ideal candidate has a news background focused on media, has written professionally about media news and trends for at least three years, and can meet multiple daily deadlines with ease. You should also be comfortable using social tools, including Twitter, to help promote your work.
Applicants will be asked to complete timed writing and editing tests.
The position is located on-site in D.C., though the ideal candidate may telecommute.
- Identify news stories for inclusion in SmartBrief’s newsletters.
- Edit news summaries for grammar, style and tone for a particular audience.
- Use online publishing tools to create email newsletters and other content.
- Manage relationships with associations, corporations and other business clients as well as freelance writers and other content providers.
- Occasionally publish original content/reporting on industry trends or industry events.
Required Skills & Experience:
- At least three years of experience in an editing, communications or research role with a news organization, consulting firm, trade association or other relevant group. Editing experience is preferred.
- Ability to write and edit quickly and accurately on deadline.
- Sophisticated understanding of how to find news and information on the Web.
- Facility for using online publishing tools.
- Knowledge of Associated Press style.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills.
- Proven record of sharing responsibilities and managing multiple projects/deadlines simultaneously.
Job Location: Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Position Type: Full-Time/Regular