Summer Math Tutor
Apex Learning Virtual School SUMME01114
Job Title: Online Tutor, Math (Summer)
Reports To: Program Manager, ALVS
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Apex Learning Virtual School (ALVS) online tutors support virtual high school students with live online chat. The tutor will be responsible for managing and responding to multiple chat sessions providing exceptional instruction, student mentorship and subject matter expertise on math, science, English, and social studies subjects.
- Familiarity with ALVS course content, structure, style within math, science, English, and social studies subjects (Tutors will receive access to demo accounts for all courses in their subject area).
- Engage with students in a friendly and professional manner requesting information about the course, activity, and/or specific content so they can quickly serve the student’s needs.
- Respond to student questions in a positive, supportive manner, giving as detailed explanations as possible.
- Guide the student through content and/or process without answering the question for them using the Socratic method.
- Be vigilant to signs that the student is asking for help on assessment (quizzes and test) questions and setting the expectation with students that tutors will not confirm answers but can help clarify what the assessment questions are asking, provide parallel problems, or guide the student back to course content.
- Redirect students to appropriate subject matter experts for help or to their teacher for questions relating to their specific course.
- Seek guidance from the chat advisors (experienced ALVS teachers) by escalating content questions and sharing chat transcripts for evaluation and feedback.
- Other duties as assigned
Job Qualifications and Requirements:
- Adheres to the professional teaching obligations and be a subject matter expert.
- Fosters a positive and motivating environment for students.
- Provide student feedback in a manner that supports learning.
- Actively listens and delivers information in a clear, compelling and concise manner.
- Attention to detail when typing with minimal spelling, punctuation, and grammatical errors.
- Ability to multitask between multiple windows, students, and courses.
- Regular and predictable attendance.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in one of the following combinations:
- Math/science double major or major/minor
- English/social science double major or major/minor
- Education major with math/science minor or English/social science minor (or double major)
- Tutoring or other educator experience preferred, particularly in math, as the majority of our chats are for help with math courses.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
This job description is a summary of the typical functions of the job and is not intended to be a comprehensive or exhaustive list of all possible duties and responsibilities. The particular job duties of this position may change based upon the needs of Apex Learning. Additional duties may be assigned at the discretion of the supervisor. Apex Learning reserves the right to amend and change the responsibilities to meet its operational needs.
Apex Learning is an equal opportunity employer. Our intent is to recruit, hire, train, and promote all persons in all job groups in accordance with law, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, national origin, sexual preference, or any other protected status.