The Buffer marketing team delights in helping people grow their businesses and advocating for a more humane workplace. We are a cohesive, dedicated, fun-loving bunch who are committed to driving awareness for the Buffer brand and acquiring customers for the Buffer product. We emphasize high-quality work, and we value respect, trust, and affirmation.
We’re looking for an empathetic marketing leader to help our teammates feel fulfilled in their work while also partnering on high-level, strategic initiatives. Sound interesting? Join us and take our team to the next level!
You will collaborate closely with the entire marketing team as well as functionally across Buffer. We value and reward respectful, empathetic discussion and collaboration when creating solutions. This position reports to the VP of Marketing.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Holding an essential leadership role within our marketing team. You’ll help take us to new heights with your experience and skill with people management, team-building, operations, and strategy.
- Supporting a team of 10 high-performing marketers who work across a wide range of channels. This may include:
- Having weekly 1:1s with up to eight marketing teammates.
- Syncing regularly with marketing collaborators from within design and engineering (dotted-line reporting).
- Showing care and attention for those who report to you by creating space for quarterly (at the least) career conversations.
- Providing each teammate with clear goals and deadline accountability.
- Helping build an even stronger, more cohesive marketing team. This may include:
- Suggesting ways to organize our team to achieve maximum impact, and implement a plan to make it happen.
- Identifying ways we could grow the team through hiring and which areas we could invest in. Collaborate on team-building decisions with the VP of Marketing.
- Owning the growth of teammates: coaching, improvement, and recognition. (You aren’t expected to be a domain expert in all domains. We do expect you to empower and support people to “grow themselves” and for you to guide them as needed).
- Motivating the team to make meaningful progress on goals in reasonable time.
- Fully managing team operations for the marketing team. This may include:
- Organizing quarterly area-wide reviews, both manager-led and 360° feedback, and communicating the plan to the team.
- Creating a cadence for stand-ups and syncs among our fully-distributed, worldwide team.
- Being the final decision maker on area-wide tools we all use.
- Organizing the annual marketing team on-site.
- Keeping a keen eye on budget. Finding areas of optimization and ways to make our dollars go further.
- Syncing regularly with other team leads to ensure smooth collaboration and context sharing.
- Working cross-functionally with other areas within Buffer to drive forward on new initiatives and remove friction for marketing team projects.
- Understanding the tactics of our campaigns and projects so you can support the team when called upon.
- Collaborating with the VP of Marketing on:
- Defining KPIs and measure success across team and department.
- Setting team vision and strategy.
- Identifying new growth ideas.
- As a teammate at Buffer, you will agree to uphold our values and
Helpful Skills and Experience
- Strong track record of people management experience.
- A management philosophy that you can clearly articulate.
- Strong communication, leadership, and project management skills.
- A deep understanding of marketing channels and channel-performance expectations.
- A track record of holding a team accountable to goals and aligned with company-wide strategic priorities, while allowing high levels of autonomy on the team.
- You have a growth mindset.
- You are organized, responsible, empathetic, kind, and trusting.
- Unsure if you meet all these requirements? Please apply anyway! We would love to hear from you!