Managing Editor – Outdoor Routes US at Komoot
Location: Within Europe; 100% Remote
Komoot is an app that lets you find, plan, and share adventures with an easy route planner. Driven by a desire to explore and powered by the outdoor community’s recommendations, komoot’s mission is to inspire great adventures, making them accessible to all. Google and Apple have listed us as one of their Apps of the Year numerous times—and with over 30 million users and 300,000 five-star reviews—komoot is on the way to becoming the most popular cycling and hiking app for people who love adventures worldwide.
Join our fully remote team and change the way people explore!
About the role
As part of the Editorial Team, it’s our mission to ‘provide the resources, experience, and passion for producing and maintaining the best editorial outdoor content.’We are now looking for a driven managing editor with experience in leading large-scale content creation projects to take our Tour recommendations in the US to the next level!
Ready for your next adventure?
What you will do
- Manage the entire editorial process for the creation of the most in-demand Tours and Guides in the US—from concept to published routes—to inspire our growing outdoor community
- Ensure this process meets our internal content strategy, timeline, and budget targets
- Ensure the Tour content upholds our quality standards and is kept up to date over time
- Ensure that there is sufficient editor capacity for the project, and hire and onboard new editors to meet our needs
- Manage a team of 30+ freelance editors and assign tasks, enforce deadlines, and evaluate the performance
- Support the management of the wider freelance team when needed (up to 100 editors)
- Continuously evaluate and optimize our outcomes and processes
- Work closely with our Content and SEO manager to inform and refine the route creation strategy in the US and beyond
- Play an active role in the Editorial Team and support with team tasks
Why you will love it
- You’ll join an international and fully-remote company spread across Europe with a joint mission – to inspire great adventures, making them accessible to all.
- You’ll play a key role in activating and inspiring a vast user base in our growing US market.
- You’ll manage and be able to shape a great team of like-minded freelance editors.
- You’ll work closely in a team of (currently) five managing editors to share ideas, develop best practices and move the Editorial Team mission forward.
- This is a remote role, we are a remote-first team, and you are free to work from anywhere in the UTC-1 and UTC+3 time zones.
- We have flexible working hours with core time for communication between 10 am- 3 pm (UTC+2). You can organize your workday in the way that best suits you, your family, and your needs.
- 38 days of vacation (public holidays included) + 3 additional personal growth days
- Personal Growth budget and time – 3 days off work + EUR 2000 to dedicate to your personal growth: classes, conferences, books – your choice!
- 3/ year whole-company on-site gatherings in beautiful locations. You can check out this playlist to learn more about how we stay close while remote.
- Costs are covered for your co-working space membership, your work-from-home office setup, and the latest devices and equipment to do your best work
You will be successful in this position if you
- Have expert knowledge of the US outdoor sphere, ideally having previously lived there for several years
- Have a track record of being involved in large-scale content projects and managing a substantial (10+) team of editors
- Are experienced in and passionate about outdoor activities, above all hiking, cycling, mountain biking, and trail running
- Are proficient in planning routes digitally and are ideally already an expert in using komoot
- Are highly organized and able to manage multiple projects at the same time, ensuring the flawless execution of tasks
- Have the skills, experience, and drive to improve efficiency continuously
- Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to manage, motivate and mentor a large team of freelancers
- Feel at home in the digital world and are comfortable adopting the latest tools
Some of our Perks
- 38 days of vacation (incl. public holidays)
- Dedicated time and budget to spend on your professional development: classes, conferences, books – your choice!
- Discounts from leading outdoor and cycling brands
- Flexible working hours and ability to work from anywhere in Europe
- Three whole-company gatherings per year in beautiful locations
- Optional “togetherness” trips with your team
- Costs covered for your co-working space membership or your work from home office
- The latest devices and equipment to do your best work
Curious to find out more?
- More about our team and our values here: https://www.komoot.com/jobs
- More about how we work here: https://www.komoot.com/jobs-process#how-we-work
- More about our recruitment process and FAQs here: https://www.komoot.com/jobs-process
At komoot we want to make great adventures accessible to everyone.
We support diversity and inclusivity within the outdoors and welcome all prospective applicants. We have a rolling recruitment process. If this role is online, it means it’s still open. We’re accepting applications and actively looking for the perfect candidate. Is it you?