Managing Editor at Inside
(100% Remote, US-based)
Inside.com is a network of email newsletters. We publish high-quality roundups that curate, summarize, and analyze all of the most important news in many different verticals and industries. Some example topics include: venture capital, Artificial Intelligence, podcasting, wine and even cities (San Francisco, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh). Check out the complete list here: inside.com.
We have over 40 writers, who are working remotely and part-time, creating newsletters designed to make our readers more intelligent and informed through our unique editorial format: the top ten stories of the day, ranked in order of importance and summarized in two or three sentences. Our goal is to scale from 50 to 300 titles in the next two years, and we’re looking for a Managing Editor, who is exceptional at checking in with writers, brainstorming how to improve their newsletters a little bit every week, and ensuring these improvements are made.
Our best performing newsletters have over 40% open rates and organically double or triple in size every year. Those top tier newsletters have contributors with two qualities: first, they are passionate and knowledgeable about their newsletter topic and second, they are able to write copy that is 99%+ ready to be published without an editor.
You’ll also help select and onboard new writers, and participate in refining our first of its kind NMS–newsletter management system.
We’re looking for someone who has journalism and leadership experience and a track record of supporting, managing and motivating a large group of freelancers. Ideal candidates should have…
- Grit. This is not a “go through the motions” type of role. You need the dedication to roll up your sleeves and get shit done, the tenacity to keep a fast-growing editorial operation running smoothly, and the creativity to ensure we never stop improving.
- Mentorship experience. Every day you’ll slap on a headset or Airpods, and call or video conference with a half-dozen our exceptional writers. You’ll read their work, give them suggestions, keep them informed of our editorial standard and brainstorm new ways to delight and inform our loyal users. You’ll act as a mentor and not shy away from giving direct, clear feedback on how to improve their work.
- A nearly insane level of attention to detail. While you should be able to spot a typo from a mile away, you should also have the ability to edit with a deep understanding of our style, voice, and context.
- Excellent communication. This role is as much about editorial as it is about managing and interacting with the writers and clearly communicating plans for growth.
- Time management and organization skills. This is a demanding role that requires excellent time management and efficiency.
- Five years of journalism experience.
- Five years of experience editing and managing writers.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!