Managing Editor at Only One Inc.
- Remote (US, UK, & Canada)
At the Only One Collective, our purpose is to turn the tide on ocean conservation by connecting people to urgent environmental issues and the communities affected by them, while identifying clear steps that will drive significant change. We do this through our two sister organizations: SeaLegacy and the Only One Platform. We focus on amplifying stories and campaigns that sit at the intersection of ocean health and social justice. We want to redistribute power by making the space we have available to a diverse group of storytellers and activists, prioritizing those whose experiences and narratives are marginalized and whose campaigns could use broad grassroots support to achieve meaningful impact.
The Only One Collective was first established in 2019, and today the organization has twenty full-time employees, across product, design, content, engagement. By partnering with other changemakers in the space, we aim to support innovative solutions that strengthen marine ecosystems and the communities that depend on them most.
The Only One Collective has a sizable existing community, including 10M followers across social media channels, an email list of ~300K, and The Tide, a growing community of ~4K monthly donors committed to supporting ocean solutions.
In this role, you will report to our Editorial Lead and collaborate closely with our Editorial team. You will be responsible to support creative production and to facilitate the implementation of the platform’s editorial content. This is a full-time position.
The Managing Editor is a critical part of the organization’s mission to educate, engage, and activate diverse communities around ocean conservation. Strong candidates are highly strategic, innovative, detail-oriented managers of people, budgets, processes and projects. They are preferably someone who has experience working with storytellers across genres. They understand the cadence of editorial production and have the diplomacy needed to work seamlessly and harmoniously with creative people and grassroots organizers globally. They have a passion for streamlining processes and keeping things running on schedule and on budget. Problem-solving is a core strength. They are preferably someone who has experience at the intersection of content development and technology. A passion for climate and environmental justice and the oceans is important, even if their professional experience has not been in that space. This role requires self-discipline, independent ideation and execution with a strong attention to detail and a proven track record of high quality performance in a fast paced start-up environment.
- Help develop and streamline execution of an editorial approach that supports impact goals, including producing original content, funding co-productions, and elevating the voices of storytellers, with a particular focus on diverse perspectives from around the world.
- Work closely with content creators and other partners to develop and produce greenlit projects, providing appropriate creative and production support as needed.
- Oversee content development, production and post-production on Only One original projects.
- Identify excellent existing content and secure it for the platform.
- Develop and oversee delivery of content that services brand and other partnerships.
- Coordinate editorial meetings, and create and manage detailed production schedules and calendars.
- Implement best practices, workflows, tools and templates to maximize the efficiency and effectiveness of Only One’s editorial output.
- Work with the legal team to negotiate agreements with writers, filmmakers and creatives.
- Oversee the Editorial budget, reconciling the monthly P&L, approving expenses and processing invoices.
- You’re conversant in SEO/data analysis. You’re conservant in SEO/data analysis in order to drive consumer engagement and help Only One hit its content cadence goals.
- You’re obsessed with the details. You know when to choose progress over perfection, but you strive for excellence in every little detail. You always wear a creative hat, but you also love the numbers that help you make more intelligent decisions.
- You have a team ethos. You thrive in a fast-paced environment with people who are constantly looking to innovate, enjoy challenges, and strive for excellence. We’re a small and efficient staff; every person plays an essential role in our organization. You bring humor, humility, and kindness to your work.
- You’re a leader and a learner. You’re excited to collaborate with other teams and you’re skilled at establishing and cultivating strong relationships with all types of people. You enjoy managing and mentoring others. At the same time, you are never done learning and you constantly surround yourself with people you can learn from.
- You get things done. You’re a multitasking machine and you don’t have a problem getting your hands dirty. You follow through on every task, no matter how big or small, and when duty calls you take matters into your own hands. You take initiative on projects from the start and know how to bring people together and get things done.
This is a full-time position with the opportunity to work remotely.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Fully remote work set up to allow flexibility for your own working style
- Stipends for personal learning developments as well as home office set-up
- Competitive salary + benefits
- 3+ weeks guaranteed PTO
- Unique opportunities for you to spend time in the field (or the ocean!) with our incredible storytellers
At the Only One Collective, we are committed to building a workforce composed of individuals with diverse backgrounds, abilities, and identities. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We collect information about our applicants’ backgrounds so that we can assess the diversity of our pool of applicants as we seek to build an organization made up of people with a broad range of lived experiences. We believe having a diverse team makes us a better organization, one better positioned to harness the power of storytelling, collective action, and crowdfunding to rebuild ocean life for people and nature.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!