Manager, Growth and Business Development at National Math and Science Initiative - NMSI
Manager, Growth & Business Development
Job Location: Flexible Location (Anywhere in the contiguous US)
Position Type: Full Time
Education Level: 4 Year Degree
Travel Percentage: Negligible
What will you do all day?
At NMSI, our people mean everything to us; they are the lifeblood of the organization. Without our staff, NMSI is just an idea. As a central member of the Growth team, the Manager of Growth wears multiple hats. They are responsible for keeping track of important donor and grant management processes. They also work with other teams to ensure cross-functional projects run smoothly. One day, they could be writing multiple reports and applying for grants, and the other, they could be researching prospective funders and tracking data. Every day is unique! Reporting to the Director of Growth & Business development this role can be located anywhere in the contiguous United States, Dallas preferred.
What are the details?
Individual Giving and Donor Stewardship
- Under the direction of the Director of Growth & Business Development, implement broad-based individual giving and engagement campaigns, including drafting solicitation copy, identifying appropriate timing, channels and audiences, and analyzing outcomes to inform future efforts, in partnership with MarCom team
- Analyze and segment individual donors to identify prospects for major gifts, legacy giving, monthly giving, etc.
- Plan, manage and execute annual appeals campaigns that includes direct mail and online giving, and social media assets.
- Lead messaging development for appeals, work plans, budgets, and schedules to support donor campaigns.
- Develop and execute fundraising strategies to increase individual contributions and retain donors.
- Develop annual digital fundraising strategy.
- Help lead the development of a capital campaign and/or endowment strategy.
- Manage cultivation of prospects through digital fundraising tools and initiate strategies to foster higher giving levels.
- Meet short-term and long-term goals from new and existing pipeline sources by developing best practices for digital fundraising across multiple platforms.
- Focus on cultivating donations through new methods of electronic fundraising such as social media.
- Develop reporting on fundraising campaigns and prepare weekly, monthly and quarterly statistical reports for use for evaluation and to provide to NMSI’s management teams, the Board of Directors Growth & Development committee.
- Evaluate all campaigns and appeals to develop analysis on performance and plan for future appeals.
- Manage and increase participation in the organization’s planned giving.
- Collaborate with the MarCom Department on producing donor collateral including the organization’s annual report, research portfolio, website assets, email communication and special event invitations.
- Manage and enhance the process of donor acknowledgement, recognition, cultivation and stewardship.
- Manage donor recognition and special event recognition.
Growth Team Coordination
- Provide staff support to the NMSI Board Development & Growth Committee
- Work with the Director of Growth & Business Development to implement NMSI’s Growth and Business Development Plan, including researching prospective donors, planning and executing fundraising events, identifying funding priorities, and facilitating Growth activities across NMSI’s business units
- Support and facilitate alignment of efforts between fundraising and school cultivation
- Serve as a Growth Team liaison for cross-functional projects and ongoing work (e.g., MarCom, CRM, Knowledge Management, AP Arts)
- Conduct research as needed for proposals, funder meetings, etc.
- Evaluate donor databases to gather information for prospecting and follows through on the implementation of donor strategies
- Develop and implement prospect research and prospect management processes, procedures and tools
- Other duties as assigned
What are we looking for?
- Education & Experience – You have a bachelor’s degree and have worked in a professional capacity for at least five years, nonprofit development experience, including using Raiser’s Edge, highly preferred
- Entrepreneurial – You live for the hustle that’s required to forge new paths; you collaborate well with others to make things happen
- Relationship Builder – You have a knack for building relationships quickly and inspiring those around you
- Organized & Productive – You are a master at planning your day and not letting distractions come in between meeting your goals
- Reliable – You can work effectively with minimal supervision, but you also know when to ask for help
- Flexible – You are comfortable working in an ambiguous environment with competing priorities
- Growth Mindset – You learn from failure and crave feedback because you know that it makes you better; you are also eager to give feedback to your manager, team, and colleagues
- Expert Communicator – You can tailor your speaking to multiple types of audiences; you are a concise, compelling writer
- Data Geek – You love data and take pride in ensuring its accuracy; you also use data to drive decisions
- Inclusive – You can work effectively with people regardless of their age, gender, race, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion or job type—or any other factor that makes us unique!
- Tech Savvy – You embrace technology as a tool to enhance your work effectiveness but not as a means to replace hard work; you are adept at learning new technologies quickly
- Sense of Humor – You don’t take yourself too seriously; work hard play hard is your mantra.
Want to learn more?
The National Math and Science Initiative is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to transforming math and science education in today’s classrooms and ensuring that all students have the knowledge and skills to thrive in the global economy of the 21st century. Founded in 2007, NMSI began by dramatically improving student participation and success in rigorous Advanced Placement math, science and English courses in 85 courses across seven states. Today, NMSI has scaled its proven program to serve more than 1.5 million students, 50,000 teachers, 1,000 high schools and 45 universities across 40 states, and is having a demonstrable and lasting impact on student outcomes.
NMSI Next, our five-year strategy plan, deepens our commitment to transform our current programs. In doing so, we will also launch a bold approach to partnering with school systems that drive outcomes not only at the student and school system levels but also at the regional and national levels. NMSI Next is anchored on the concept that the whole will be greater than the sum of the parts and that our teamwork and program work go hand in hand. Additionally, we believe that our impact on the school system, regional, and national levels will reinforce itself to ensure population-level outcomes.
We believe STEM education is the greatest lever to accessing opportunity and is unmatched in unlocking student potential.
Specifically, NMSI Next will implement the following strategic levers so that all students, especially those furthest from opportunity, thrive and reach their highest potential as problem solvers and lifelong learners, pursue their passions and tackle the world’s toughest challenges.
- Catalyze bold thinking and enduring solutions for all students nationally
- Collaborate with regional stakeholders to drive sustainable changes
- Provide school systems a world-class K-12 solution set
- Build a strong, sustainable, and nimble organization positioning us to deliver exponential impact
The organization has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills, and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate.
National Math + Science Initiative (NMSI) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. NMSI complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which we have employees. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!