Litigation Paralegal at Equivity
Equivity is looking for a part-time virtual paralegal with recent experience supporting attorneys in civil litigation law firms. We are looking for someone with deep experience in all phases of litigation, including performing legal research, filing of the complaint, discovery, motion practice, and trial preparation. If you have at least three years of litigation paralegal experience, have previously assisted attorneys virtually for at least one year, take pride in your work, pay meticulous attention to the details, and are looking for a long-term, part-time virtual paralegal role, we want to hear from you!
The ideal candidate will have at least three years of civil litigation experience and will have worked in a law firm within the last six months. Experience and willingness to assist in a variety of practice areas, such as personal injury, commercial litigation, and employment disputes, would be an asset. Your experience should include preparation of a variety of pleadings, including complaints, motions, and all necessary supporting documents. Your experience with discovery should include preparation of written discovery, responses to written discovery, and collection of the underlying documentation. You should be well versed with electronic discovery, including searching for responsive documents, reviewing and tagging documents using appropriate software, and producing documents. You should have experience performing legal research by utilizing Westlaw or Lexis, analyzing relevant statutes, regulations and case law, and preparing memorandums for attorney review. You should know how to Shepardize, cite check using BlueBook, and be able to evaluate the status of statutes and judicial opinions. You should have experience supporting attorneys through all aspects of litigation, from initiation of a suit through trial.
The selected candidate will be very technologically adept and have excellent Word, Excel, and Adobe skills. In addition, the candidate should have experience working with cloud-based practice management software, such as Clio or MyCase. We are looking for candidates with experience working remotely while managing attorney expectations.
More about our company:
Equivity matches clients with virtual assistants that provide long-term paralegal, administrative and marketing support. Our virtual paralegals work with a high degree of autonomy and are responsible for developing lasting relationships with our clients. Because we provide extremely attentive service to our clients, you must be available to respond to client communications throughout the business day (Monday through Friday, 9am – 6pm Eastern or Pacific Time) within one hour by email, phone, and text. You should also be available to complete tasks and work on projects during the business day. All of this work is done remotely, meaning that you can work from home.
The selected candidate would be hired as a part-time employee (W2) of Equivity, not an independent contractor (1099). We are looking for somebody who has at least 20 hours per week of availability, and the starting pay is $20 per hour. We are a growing business and are looking for a virtual paralegal who is excited to partner with us and is interested in a long-term role with our company.
Qualities we are looking for:
- Attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work independently with limited oversight
Equivity is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. Equivity is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Equivity are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national original, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender orientation, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Equivity will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3+ years of recent experience supporting attorneys in all aspects of civil litigation
- Experience preparing and responding to written discovery
- Experience drafting complaints, answers, motions, and other pleadings
- Experience collecting, preparing, and producing documents
- Experience performing legal research
- Experience Shepardizing case law, cite checking, and evaluating the status of statutes or judicial opinions
- 1+ year working in a completely virtual role
- Excellent writing and proofreading skills
- Expert proficiency with utilizing all programs within Microsoft Office, including Outlook, Word, and Excel
- Advanced proficiency with Google Calendar, Google Docs, and Google Sheets
- Experience editing, bookmarking, and indexing PDFs
- Experience using cloud-based practice management software, preferably Clio or MyCase
- Availability to respond to requests within an hour during the hours of 9 AM – 6 PM, Monday – Friday (in Eastern or Pacific Time Zone)
- Your own laptop and smart phone with broadband access to Internet
- Quiet location in which to take phone calls
- Experience with commercial litigation
- Experience with employment law