Litigation Counsel at Grindr
Since launching in 2009, Grindr has grown into the world’s largest social networking app for gay, bi, trans, and queer people. We have millions of daily users who use our location-based technology in almost every country in every corner of the planet.
Today, Grindr proudly represents a modern LGBTQ+ lifestyle. From social issues to original content, we continue to blaze innovative paths with a meaningful impact. At Grindr, we create a safe space where you can discover, navigate, and be zero feet away from the queer world around you.
As of June 2020, Grindr has new owners with a track record of multiple successful Bay Area start-ups. The company’s new leadership – with their world class experience at some of the largest tech companies in the world – bring a renewed commitment to creating a 5 Star experience for our users and a positive, uplifting company culture where everyone can be their best selves. And at the heart of Grindr’s mission is to be of service to our users and the LGBTQ+ community.
What’s so interesting about this role?
Unicorn seeking unicorn…
- As Grindr’s Litigation Counsel, you will be a master of the facts and a mayven of the law for matters that affect tech companies generally and also Grindr specifically.
- Opportunity to have tremendous impact — Life at Grindr is never dull, and you’ll touch on virtually every aspect of the Grindr universe. As a fiduciary on behalf of Grindr’s millions of users in virtually every country in the world, your important work will have a positive impact on the LGBTQ+ community.
- Breadth, breadth, and more breadth — You’ll be able to connect and work with a variety of internal and external team members across the globe on different matters, allowing you to build connections and expose yourself to different experiences and ways of thinking.
What’s the job?
Do everything in your power to advance the best interests of Grindr and its millions of users. Reporting to Grindr’s VP of Legal and Business Affairs, you will:
- Help the company analyze and respond to state and federal legal process (search warrants, subpoenas, preservation requests, court orders) under various legal regimes such as the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, Stored Communications Act, California Electronic Communications Privacy Act, etc.
- Advise the business on U.S. and international privacy laws, regulations, compliance, and best practices to help ensure the safety and security use of the platform.
- Help manage litigation and be day-to-day point of contact for outside counsel to facilitate the efficient handling of matters
- Conduct legal research and draft various memoranda, briefs, and pleadings
- Analyze and respond to civil discovery requests including eDiscovery management, document review, and coordination with business teams re same
- Serve as the point person for sensitive/urgent user concerns, working closely with Grindr’s Customer Experience team
What We’ll Love About You:
- Mission-driven, team-focused, highly skilled, and unfailingly dedicated
- Insatiable curiosity paired with an exceptional attention to detail (and a nice chianti)
- Solution-oriented with sensitivity to varying global norms
- Your passion for precise, concise, and effective prose
- Proactive, driven, self-motivated
We’ll Really Swoon If You Are/Have:
- At least 3-5 years of experience at a top-tier law firm where you learned how to be a lawyer’s lawyer
- Demonstrated a consistent track record of success throughout your career, including at a highly regarded law school (law review preferred)
- A solid grasp of Section 230, GDPR, CCPA, and other regulatory frameworks designed to protect individuals’ fundamental rights and freedoms
- Experience helping a tech company navigate the full spectrum of Legal matters
What You’ll Love About Us
- Remote-first culture – work from home (or wherever!) within the U.S.
- Competitive compensation, including equity
- Unlimited paid time off
- Health, dental, vision insurance
- Generous 401(k) match
- In-home snacks, home office stipend, and other great perks
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!