Love writing about a variety of Entertainment topics? We’re looking for you!
The Cheat Sheet is a pop media company dedicated to providing audiences the information they want in an entertaining way. We want readers to save time and live more, so we closely follow, research, and write about topics to bring readers the most up-to-date guides, reviews, lists, and advice.
We are looking for a temp-to-hire Lifestyle Writer to join our search writing team. The Cheat Sheet is known for its entertaining lifestyle coverage, and you could be part of our team dedicated to having fun together while writing content for our site! For this particular position we’re looking for someone who will join our team for a three-month period, with the potential to extend to a full-time position.
As a Lifestyle Writer on the Search team you will:
- Report to the managing editor, and focus on providing high-quality Entertainment coverage across a wide range of topics.
- Develop your own story ideas and angles based on your industry knowledge of what will perform well in the organic search space.
- Produce 4-6 winning search articles each day by identifying trending topics and covering multiple ideas per day with a high-page view rating.
- Work Saturdays and Sundays to capitalize on trends that our readers are interested in during their free time. (You will also work 3 weekdays of your choosing.)
- Collaborate with our Editorial team and join search team meetings to understand what does/doesn’t work for a story on The Cheat Sheet. Demonstrate flexibility and a willingness to re-focus ideas when necessary.
- Dive into research, making use of internal and external links, to show your stories are based on more than just one person’s opinion.
- Consistently deliver high-quality, self-edited, and professional articles. Have the ability to self-edit articles and the desire to continue honing your grammar skills. Show an ability to work autonomously, particularly during weekend coverage.
- Take a data-driven approach to writing, utilizing our in-house analytics tool and Google Analytics to gain insights on article performance. Use GA to track progress toward monthly data benchmarks of performance.
- Promote your work on Cheat Sheet-branded social media channels.
- Work in a fast-paced, ever-changing, and demanding remote environment.
What makes The Cheat Sheet a great place to work?
- We are a recognized digital media leader with more than 10 million monthly readers and our company was just named to Inc’s Top 5000 list for 2016 + 2017.
- We are a tightly knit team that is passionate about the overall product and strives to be experts in the field. We have a collaborative culture driven by mutual respect that fosters regular feedback and group discussion.
- We are an exciting, growing company and we want you to grow with us. At The Cheat Sheet, your career is what you make of it.
- Work from home, a coffee shop, or anywhere of your choosing. We have a distributed workforce, which means that you can live wherever you want and work with brilliant colleagues from around the country.
- Benefits will not be offered for the three-month contract term, but competitive salaries, health, dental & vision insurance, and 401(k) contributions would be offered to a successful employee who moves to a full-time position after the contract term is up.
What you will need to be successful in this role:
- A four-year college degree or equivalent work experience.
- A background in and passion for writing about a variety of topics in the Entertainment sphere, as well as a voice that you’re looking to hone.
- A strong grasp of proper grammar and punctuation (e.g., Strunk & White’s The Elements of Style). Knowledge of AP Style is a plus.
- The skill to recognize interesting news elements, come up with story ideas, and have these appeal to our readers.
- A willingness to learn quickly and adapt to the varying and ever-changing demands of the job.
- A working knowledge of SEO and previous experience using WordPress is preferred, but not required.
We put our Company Culture first — Get to know our Culture Statement:
Culture is as important as performance at The Cheat Sheet! We work at the intersection of having fun and getting sh*t done as a diverse team of information junkies with unique skill sets. We embrace our efficient remote environment. We believe our work is rewarding and our happy peers should inspire us. And we demand excellence in everything we do.
- We’re extraordinarily passionate (Passion)
- We play to win (Excellence)
- We’re adaptable and dream big (Adaptability)
- We’re a herd of Happy Rainbow Sheep (Teamwork)
- We take ownership of our work. (Ownership)
- We work in our fuzzy slippers (Remote work)
If this opportunity interests you and you fit the job description, please fill out this form.