The Freelance Leveler is integral to our daily article production at Newsela. In this role, you will support our editorial team in leveling and editing engaging content that meet our users’ needs. Specifically, you will be working across a variety of social studies and history articles. This role is a remote, freelance role and will consist of part-time work.
Why You’ll Love This Role
- You will have a direct impact in making Newsela’s history and social studies content more accessible and engaging to readers of all ages.
- Your work will affect how teachers and students engage with Newsela, and in turn help deepen the impact of our mission to make reading accessible and engaging for all learners.
Why We’ll Love You
- You’ve put your Journalism, English or other relevant degree to good use with at least one year of experience working at a newspaper, magazine or digital publication.
- You have at least 1-2 years of experience working directly with History and Social Studies content, and you have a spidey-sense for when a topic you’re less familiar with might be oversimplified or might require some additional fact-checking or research.
- You are deadline-oriented, a strong communicator, and have a love of learning.
Newsela is an Instructional Content Platform that combines engaging, leveled content with integrated formative assessments and insights to supercharge engagement and learning in every subject. Students and teachers use Newsela to find digital content from 100+ of the best sources—from National Geographic to NASA, Biography.com to Encyclopedia Britannica, the Washington Post to the Wichita Eagle. Content is instructionalized to meet students where they are, with interactive tools and analytics to take them where they want to go. Newsela has become an essential solution for schools and districts, with a presence in over 90% of U.S. K-12 schools. Newsela is the content platform for the connected classroom.