Legal Ops Wrangler at Automattic
Legal Ops Wrangler
We are seeking a talented legal operations wrangler, with experience in both the legal field and software development, to join Automattic’s legal team. This is a generalist role, and you’ll be an integral part of our team, managing projects across the full range of subject matter supported by the legal team. This is the ideal role for someone with a passion for sensible, practical solutions and operational excellence.
Some of your responsibilities will include:
- Updating + upgrading our legal policies.
- Automating processes for trademarks, litigation, and contract management.
- Growing our trademark portfolio by assisting with trademark filings and maintenance.
- Protecting Automattic’s brands around the world through trademark enforcement.
- Working with other members of our legal and product teams to prepare for new privacy laws with direct, actionable advice that empowers them to make decisions.
We’re a distributed company, so like all positions at Automattic, you can be based wherever you live.
We’d love to hear from you if you:
- Thrive in a tech-centered, developer-focused environment, and are adept at collaborating with software engineers and understanding technical and product details.
- Are well-versed in the GDPR and US privacy laws that impact internet companies, along with trademark and copyright law.
- Possess an agile and curious mind. You’re not afraid to ask questions or admit when you are wrong.
- Are business minded and practical in addressing legal issues. We don’t write a lot of memos at Automattic; we solve problems and get things done.
- Have a healthy sense of humor, and an abiding spirit of idealism.
- Operate independently.
- Recognize that law is about the grey areas, and are comfortable living in them, while giving clear and actionable advice.
- Are a great writer.
- Love the open internet and all it stands for.
We are the people behind WordPress.com, WooCommerce, Jetpack, Tumblr, and more. We believe in making the web a better place.
We’re a distributed company with more than 900 Automatticians in 65+ countries speaking 75+ different languages. Our common goal is to democratize publishing so that anyone with a story can tell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or where they live in the world.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
DIVERSITY & INCLUSION AT AUTOMATTIC
We’re improving diversity in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our D&I committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly D&I People Lab series for further learning. Diversity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!