Legal Director – Employment and Litigation at Bird Rides
Legal Director – Employment and Litigation
- Remote – USA
Who is Bird
Bird is a global team guided by a shared vision: to make cities more livable through safe, sustainable electric mobility. From our first e-scooter ride in 2017 to the thousands of rides taking place every day, our passionate team and award winning custom vehicles have helped riders complete hundreds of millions of carbon-free trips in more than 250 cities around the world. And we’re just getting started.
Our Legal team is focused on helping Bird grow and scale while safeguarding its interests and mitigating risk with minimal effect on the business. We are looking to add a Legal Director, Employment & Litigation with 7-9 years of employment law and litigation experience (employment and/or broad-based) to handle a variety of advice and counsel, litigation and pre-litigation related responsibilities. Reporting to Bird’s General Counsel, this position will support many of Bird’s business teams, especially the Talent team.
- Provide sound advice and counsel on a broad range of employment matters on a domestic and global scale
- Draft a wide range of employment-related documents (e.g., employment agreements, independent contractor agreements, offer letters, etc.)
- Provide critical support to the Talent team in the development and implementation of employment policies and best practices
- Partner with internal stakeholders on cross-functional projects with employment law impact (particularly operations, finance and corporate development)
- Research, develop and implement employment law related compliance procedures and best practices domestically and globally, including through training
- Develop litigation strategy in partnership with business units and supervise outside counsel to drive cost-effective, and strategic resolution of litigation disputes (including but not limited to employment, intellectual property, breach of contract and other broad-based commercial disputes)
- Legal research and writing for matters where outside counsel is deemed unnecessary
- Regularly communicate with business teams to gather facts, coordinate and oversee discovery, including collection and production of materials
- Review contracts for staffing agencies, HRIS, and other HR-related transactions
- Build close relationships with business and operations teams and obtain and maintain a strong knowledge of Bird products and strategic objectives
- JD from a top tier law school and member of at least one state bar, California preferred
- 7-9 years of employment law experience at a law firm and/or in-house legal department practicing CA and federal employment law, including employment counseling and litigation experience
- Curiosity about the business generally and a willingness to address a variety of employment matters
- Experienced litigator with superior drafting and research skills
- In-house experience with a technology or transportation company a strong plus
- Business minded — ability to proactively analyze risks and provide business-minded advice and recommendations to thoughtfully drive Bird’s continued success and growth.
- Ability to work independently and proactively while being able to contribute successfully to cross-functional teams
- Passion to work hard in a fast-paced environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, especially negotiation and customer service skills
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to manage multiple projects at once, follow through and meet deadlines
Culture at Bird
We’re an ambitious, smart and open-minded team that is passionate about our mission. Each day is unlike the last, as we’re constantly moving forward, challenging each other, and working together to create the future of micro-mobility.
We’re committed to helping our team members, and with the evolution of our company to a remote work organization due to the pandemic, their needs have changed. That’s why we offer a WFH monthly stipend, a wellness allowance, and more. Plus, a new resource to help support personal and professional developments—all the goods needed to move on our mission together.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!