Legal Counsel at New Directions Behavioral Health
- Global United States Location
Be the difference that makes a difference.
At New Directions, we’re in the business of changing lives. Founded in 1995, New Directions helps people live healthy, balanced lives. New Directions provides managed behavioral health services, an Employee Assistance Program, Student Assistance Program, organizational consulting and health coaching to private and public health plans, Fortune 100 companies, large and medium employers and labor groups. This strategy isn’t just applied to the 16 million individuals we serve, but to our own teams and career seekers like you. Help us change lives by starting with your own – we’re looking for bright, passionate and ambitious people to help be the difference that makes a difference.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Provides leadership for the Case Management team, effectively and positively communicating corporate initiatives and motivating team members to adopt changes to enhance clinical outcomes and improve value for the customers.
- Provide comprehensive legal counsel for a multi-state managed behavioral health care organization, and national employee assistance program (EAP), with the purpose of promoting compliance with applicable laws, regulatory bodies and accreditation standards.
- Represent company in legal proceedings to promote efficient use of outside counsel resources.
- Advise employees on legal issues including scope of practice, confidentiality, claims processing, federal and state law compliance, credentialing and peer review.
- Assist with mergers and acquisitions, including due diligence and project management.
- Serve on, and chair as requested, various internal committees and outside association committees.
- Draft and negotiate contracts, agreements, and other legal documentation.
- Provide legal research, on a national scope, for issues affecting managed care, mental health, substance use, claims payment, EAP, wellness, general corporate law, and human resources.
- Conduct Legal trainings as requested.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Adheres to New Directions Behavioral Health Mission Statement, Core Values, Code of Business Conduct, and Compliance Program.
- Complies with all Federal and applicable State laws and New Directions Behavioral Health Policies regarding, privacy, confidentiality, and security of health information, and other designated information.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and can be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities as deemed necessary.
Qualified candidates will have:
- Juris Doctor degree from a nationally accredited law school, with minimum 3 years’ experience practicing law in an in-house or law firm environment AND
- Current Kansas or Missouri law license, or ability to obtain Kansas or Missouri license within first year of employment
- Ability to draft legal and corporate documents
- Ability to research legal and business resources and clearly communicate findings
- Previous litigation experience strongly preferred
- Previous managed care experience strongly preferred
- License to practice law in states including Alabama, Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana, or Michigan
Why work for NDBH?
Vibrant, positive culture
Caring isn’t just our job, it’s our culture. Because we believe a healthy lifestyle starts with a healthy work setting, we take great pride in fostering a friendly, caring and inspiring workplace.
- New Directions has a service program that supports a wide range of causes annually.
- Employees have the chance to give to those in need and volunteer through company-sponsored volunteered time off.
- Optimal health is our mission.
- That’s why we offer a robust benefit package that includes medical, dental, vision and life insurance plans.
- Other benefits include a 401(k) Retirement Program with company contributions, an Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Talkspace, myStrength, fitness and local discounts, and tuition and CEU/License reimbursements.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!