LeaveLogic- Lead Software Engineer
USA – Remote
USA – WA – Seattle
Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world’s leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum’s financial protection benefits help protect more than 33 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum’s three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
LeaveLogic is a Seattle-based HR Tech startup company that is revolutionizing how employees navigate family and medical leaves of absence, to make planning and leave from work easier on companies and employees. Recently purchased by Unum Group, our mission is to normalize life events, such as parental leave and personal illness, in the workplace. Through LeaveLogic, employees navigate benefits, family choices, and manager discussions in one place. We combine state and local regulations, along with specific company policies and benefits, to help employees self-serve and plan for leave even before they’re ready to disclose to HR or their manager. When the employee is ready, they can easily share their leave and return-to-work plan directly from LeaveLogic.
LEAD SOFTWARE ENGINEER
Want to experience a fast-paced, technology start-up work environment? Are you passionate about creating best-in-class applications that define new marketplace solutions and are disrupting the status quo?
LeaveLogic needs you! We are looking to grow our development team to meet the needs of our ever-growing customer base and our continuing expansion of innovative product offerings. Specifically, this role will be responsible for overseeing major aspects of the LeaveLogic platform while supporting existing and building new functionality in the application. The Lead Software Engineer will help define and build our expanding product while overseeing our off-shore development team and the secure software development life-cycle.
LeaveLogic utilizes a remote work environment through several cloud-based technologies, which necessitates access to a strong, consistent internet connection. We are open to discussing a full work-from-home schedule or dedicated office space, depending on your preference, the availability of office space, and our remote technology requirements.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Preferred location is Seattle, WA however open to remote workers!
- Leads the conceptualization, design, development, implementation, and maintenance of new and existing features for the existing portfolio of applications
- Oversee the vendor relationship with the LeaveLogic development team
- Ensures application solution design conforms to agreed upon quality attributes such as performance, fault tolerance, etc.
- Design, codes, configures, unit tests, maintains, and documents software deliverables using agreed upon standards and tools.
- Collaborates on coding standards, processes, tooling and frameworks required for the delivery of features in the sprint or product backlog
- Ensures that solutions delivered by self or team members are secure and scalable, comply with defined standards and best practices .
- Ensures product backlog has appropriate technical stories and participates in their prioritization
- Provides ongoing and appropriate mentorship for Software Engineers and Associate Software Engineers
- Responsible for application solution quality from design and implementation to deploy and run. Participates in definition and maintenance of software standards
- Responsible for communication and collaboration with key stakeholders in the delivery of features
- Maintains depth of technical understanding of third party/cloud solutions and LeaveLogic’s implementation of solutions.
- Evaluates technical impacts from and coordinates implementation of new product releases.
- Participates in sizing and estimation activities within the agile team
- Communicates daily with the Scrum Master or Technical Product Owner and the Agile team on progress made and planned progress for the coming day and reports any impediments that are blocking their progress
- Participates in code reviews and sprint retrospectives; ensuring their ideas for team continuous improvement are communicated so that the overall process and team can improve sprint by sprint and readily receives feedback for self-improvement
- Focuses on delivering business priority and value at all times
- Responsible for ensuring the quality of existing and new features through both manual and automated testing and use of continuous Integration techniques
- Demonstrates an interest in software architectures and seeks to design solutions in alignment with Company stated architecture and standards
- Participate in Proof Of Concept work and prototyping when necessary
- Collaborates with Business Analysts to confirm understanding of business requirements relating to features to be delivered and to help the Business Analyst define requirements that can be delivered from a technical perspective
- Collaborates with User Experience (UX) designers to ensure designs produced can be translated efficiently into working solutions for feature delivery
- Collaborate with Test Engineers to ensure that software meets the definition of done; ensuring successful transition of work to the next stage of production during the sprints
- Contributes to an innovation culture in the team by suggesting improvement of deliveries and participates in evaluating new processes and technologies that can be applied to future feature delivery
- Collaborates with LeaveLogic support team to transition software features to a production environment ensuring that the deliveries meet application performance criteria, release standards; and ensures application and system stability.
- May serve in a Scrum Master role for an agile team
- Automates testing of software to industry standards of software automation ensuring very high quality application/solution delivery and efficient regression of existing features
- Ensures that the latest project progress is known to the agile team by ensuring Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) tools are up to date and participating in daily standups outlining progress made, progress planned and detailing impediments
- Thinks with the mind of the end customer at all times, ensuring solutions seek to improve the customer experience and delight their customers.
- Bachelors of Computer Science is preferred, or equivalent relevant business experience
- Proven experience developing solutions with Ruby on Rails, along with other common libraries such as RSpec and Sidekiq
- Passionate about delivering solutions that excite and delight our customers; holds self to high standards of delivery
- 6+ years experience in software development and delivery track record in a range or roles in a scrum environment
- Comfortable working in a remote development environment
- Experience applying fundamental design principles behind a SaaS, scalable application
- Excited to have ownership over major aspects of the LeaveLogic platform, from the backend infrastructure through the front-end user experience
- Clearly demonstrates analytical ability and critical thinking skills
- Takes a logical, analytical approach to problem solving and pays close attention to detail
- Skilled in Agile development/methodologies
- Self motivated and results oriented; able to motivate others
- Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills; experience leading groups of people through discussions, technical or otherwise
- Strong team player; able to work effectively within a team and more broadly with people from a variety of backgrounds and areas across the organization.
- Strong experience of test driven development (TDD) and unit testing, leveraging automation toolsets
- Strong experience in continuous
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person’s race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.