Lead Site Reliability Engineer at Mattermost
Mattermost is the industry’s leading open-source enterprise-grade messaging platform. Customers including Intel, Ubisoft, Samsung, Cigna, BNP, European Commission, Social Security Administration, and Affirm use Mattermost to enable their teams to collaborate securely and privately anywhere. Many of the world’s leading privacy-conscious enterprises like The US Department of Defense work better by connecting people, tools, and automation to increase developer collaboration using Mattermost. Our private cloud messaging platform offers secure, configurable, highly scalable messaging using web, mobile, and desktop applications and provides deep integrations with hundreds of SaaS and on-premises tools and applications.
We value high impact work, ownership, self-awareness and being focused on customer success. If these values match who you are, we hope you’ll learn more about working at Mattermost and apply!
We are looking for an engineer to lead our Site Reliability Engineering team for Mattermost’s new SaaS offering. You have a strong blend of software development, infrastructure and networking skills with a keen sense for leadership. Leading a team that ensures the high reliability of user-facing production services is an area you have lots of experience in. You can keep cool under pressure and lead your team in the development of systems and processes to allow for the effective resolution of incidents.
- Lead a team of engineers focused on maintaining high reliability of Mattermost’s SaaS offering
- Build services and tools to ensure the stability of production services
- Set technical vision and innovate to be on the forefront of self-healing SaaS services
- Help drive efforts for compliance certifications in our SaaS (SOC2, GDPR, FedRamp, etc.)
- Define infrastructure as code with Terraform and other tools
- Write thoughtful and high-quality code in Go
- Develop services to handle automatic recovery from incidents and disasters
- Automate incident or disaster simulations to identify blindspots
- Lead hiring for your team
- Execute our performance management process to ensure a high level of performance within the team
- Work with other Leads to follow our engineering best practices, and ensure alignment with our Leadership Principles
- Implement, maintain and tune monitoring and alerting systems
- Deploy applications to and manage Kubernetes clusters
- Respond on-call to incidents with quick and effective resolutions
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related fields, or significant professional DevOps or SRE experience
- Experience with SRE and DevOps methodologies
- 3+ years as a lead engineer or similar role
- 5+ years of previous experience as a developer or SRE with operational responsibilities
- Strong experience with AWS and other cloud providers
- Strong experience running reliable, high scale applications with Kubernetes in production
- Strong knowledge of container systems such as Kubernetes & Docker
- Experience defining and leading on-call rotations for highly available SaaS services
- Previous experience achieving compliance certifications, audits, and remediation for a public SaaS. Examples include one or more of: SOC2, PCI, HIPPA, GDPR, FedRamp
- Solid programming skills and experience with or an ability to quickly become proficient in Go
- Experience working with infrastructure as code tools, such as Terraform
- Ability and willingness to be on-call
- Experience with distributed application systems using HTTP, WebSockets, RPC, pub/sub, etc. at scale
- Open source contributions to related projects
- Knowledge of Grafana and Prometheus
- Comfortable with GitHub, Jira, Jenkins, CircleCI
- Experience working in open source communities
Mattermost is a remote-first company with staff living and working across the globe. We are currently hiring staff in these countries/regions:
Australia – Canada – Chile – Finland – Georgia – Germany – Greece – India – Mauritius – Philippines – Poland – South Africa – Turkey – Ukraine – United Kingdom – United States
We are constantly working towards adding more countries/regions to this list, but first we need to make sure we are compliant with local laws and regulations, which takes time.
Mattermost is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people from all walks of life. We don’t discriminate against staff or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there’s any way we can make the interview process better for you; we’re happy to accommodate!
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!