Lead, Product at DuckDuckGo
Lead, Product (Remote)
- Multiple Countries
- Full Time
We are a diverse, fully distributed team from around the world, working toward a shared vision to raise the standard of trust online.
Join our team as a Lead, Product and help shape our expanding suite of privacy offerings.
As part of our growing team, you’ll be directly responsible for a major company objective. This involves collaborating with team members at all levels and working directly as an individual contributor on projects: running research, setting requirements, looking at data, ideating better solutions, and closing major gaps in our products. Examples of projects include developing new features in existing products and helping to define new privacy products. Note this role doesn’t have direct reports as we collaborate in a distributed leadership model.
We empower our team to be self-directed and self-motivated in their work. In everything we do, we aim to uphold our values: build trust, question assumptions, and validate direction.
What you will do:
- Lead projects from proposal through postmortem, assessing problems, proposing high-impact solutions, and executing them against a set of success criteria.
- Oversee collaboration of cross-functional teams to define, prioritize, and develop new products or features.
- Take ownership of the product strategy for components of our privacy products.
- Partner with the User Insights team to get to know our current and prospective users.
- Maintain a high standard for product quality and help us meet it across our products.
- Represent the company externally, such as to current or potential partners.
- Understand how the privacy threat landscape is evolving and work with engineers to determine what new functionality we should integrate into our products to protect users against notable new threats.
What we are looking for:
- 10+ years of experience, including 4+ years in leadership roles related to product development (e.g., Head, Principal, Director, etc.).
- Experience leading features from inception through launch, including 2+ years of work on at least one product with a large, diverse user base (i.e., >500k weekly active users).
- Proven strategic leadership skills including goal-setting, roadmapping, and project resourcing.
- Ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Experience leveraging experiments and data to inform product decisions.
- Experience collecting and learning from user feedback.
- Excellent product intuition and taste.
- Aptitude for translating complex technical topics (e.g., privacy on the Internet) into simple product solutions.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
Other things to know:
- While we leverage specific job titles for hiring purposes, we do not use them internally. Instead, we follow our own professional levels, with expectations for each level clearly defined across several dimensions.
- We are a small, remote team distributed across time zones, and we rely on a variety of communication tools throughout the day. You should feel comfortable with the intricacies of this type of work situation.
- Sometimes we meet up! Expect to travel at least two times a year: once for our all-hands meetup and again for a team retreat (each ~4-5 days).
- We believe in a focused approach to collaboration, where individual team members work on a single top priority at a time, each supporting larger, company-wide objectives. This philosophy serves to impact our vision to raise the standard of trust online.
- Our work philosophy centers on empowered project management. All team members have opportunities to run projects.
- Transparency supports individual and team success at DuckDuckGo. We encourage everyone to participate in areas of interest throughout the company. Anyone and everyone can (and should) ask questions and offer feedback about our products and internal projects.
- We strive to exemplify our values (build trust, question assumptions, and validate direction) in everything we do.
- While this is a full-time job and we offer a flexible work arrangement with no core hours, expect an average commitment of 40 hours per week.
- We support professional development of our team members through career advisory and a learning stipend, reinforcing our culture of growth and skill-building.
Other reasons to love working at DuckDuckGo:
- Flexible vacation and sick leave practices
- Flexible work schedule
- Company-wide hack days
- Company and team meetups
- Open participation in company strategy
- Family leave policy
- Co-working reimbursement
- Hardware and office setup benefits
- Wellness and learning benefits
- Charitable donation matching
- US health benefits
- US 401k
- “Use good judgment” approach to company policies
DuckDuckGo does not leverage any recruiting agencies or services for this role. Instead, we work directly with each candidate throughout a unique hiring process that we’ve built to reflect our company culture.
DuckDuckGo provides equal work opportunities to all team members and applicants and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!