Junior Accountant at charity:water
- New York, NY, United States
- Full Time
- Main areas of focus: Financial compliance, Financial systems administration, Program Finance Compliance
- Location: Remote – U.S. only.
- Eligibility: This opportunity is open to any applicant based in the U.S., eligible to work in the U.S., or with an existing U.S. work permit.
As a Junior Accountant, you’ll take your first steps in the accounting profession. Reporting to the Accounting Manager, you’ll be the accounts payable champion, reviewing the coding of invoices and expense reports. You’ll work closely with the accounting team to ensure our organization’s books are kept up-to-date, accurate, and comply with the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). Additionally, you’ll collaborate with the Program Finance team to ensure our program grant partners adhere to our compliance and financial guidelines.
YOU’LL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR…
- Reviewing invoices, expense reports, and credit card expenses for accurate coding to the general ledger
- Investigating and responding to internal and vendor inquiries related to expense transactions
- Coaching new employees on how to navigate and master the expenditure system and process
- Serving as a key player in month close, preparing journal entries and reconciling accounts, including owning accounts payable and prepaid accounts
- Assisting with compliance matters such as the annual audit and the 990 tax return
- Assisting the department in the creation of new processes and implementation of new systems as the organization continues to evolve and grow
- Reviewing compliance documents as part of the grant approval process
- Managing additional administrative responsibilities and projects as needed
YOU MUST HAVE…
- A degree in Accounting, Finance, or relevant field
- 1+ years of office work experience
- Organizational and detail-oriented skills that extend throughout your work
- Mastery of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Exceptional comprehension and collaboration skills
- A “yes-and” attitude
IT’S AN ADDED PLUS IF YOU HAVE…
- Current CPA Designation with good knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Public Accounting experience and/or nonprofit exposure
- Excel and Powerpoint skills from formal training (e.g., Training the Street, banking program, etc.)
- Experience with expense management platforms such as Concur
- Proficiency in additional languages (French speakers are especially encouraged to apply)
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!