Java Software Engineer – Senior Level
- Location: San Antonio, Texas
- Secondary Locations: REMOTE
- Job ID R0033154
Purpose of Job
We are currently seeking a talented Java Software Engineer – Senior Level for our San Antonio, TX facility or work from home (remote).
Java Software Engineers are engaged in all phases of the software development lifecycle which include; gathering and analyzing user/business system requirements, responding to outages and creating application system models. Java Software Engineers primary functions are to design, develop, document, test and debug new and existing software systems and/or applications for internal use, perform defect corrections (analysis, design, code). In addition, Java Software Engineers participate in design meetings and consult with business clients to refine, test, and debug programs to meet business needs, and interact and sometimes direct third party partners in the achievement of business and technology initiatives. This is an advanced-level role occupied by those demonstrating in-depth technical and/or business knowledge within their respective areas of specialization. Incumbents work independently on complex work assignments and may determine methods and procedural approaches on new assignments. In addition, responsibilities include serving as resources to internal and third party team members on escalated technical issues and analyzing and designing specifications for less experienced team members to execute.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.
In each of the past five years, we’ve been a top-40 Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For, and we’ve ranked among Victory Media’s Top 10 Military Friendly Employers primar13 years straight. We embrace a robust veteran workforce and encourage veterans and veteran spouses to apply.
ABOUT USAA IT
Our most important qualification isn’t technical, it’s human. Here, we don’t just sit in front of a screen. We stand behind our 11 million members who rely on us every day. We are over 3,000 employees strong, a passionately supportive and collaborative team built on Agile principles. We’ve been a top-two Computerworld 100 Best Places to Work in IT five years in a row and were recently named a Top 50 Employer for Minority Engineers & IT by Workforce Diversity Magazine.
- Utilizing technical expertise; Creates system requirements, performs design and analysis, and coding and unit testing of complex to highly complex system functionality and/or defect correction across multiple platforms.
- Identifies ideas to improve system performance and impact availability.
- Resolves complex technical design issues.
- Provides functional and/or technical guidance in evaluating applications systems or evaluating requests for proposals.
- Coordinates changes and influences and prioritizes tasks with business or technical departments.
- Analyzes and influences technical, system, and/or user requirements.
- Identifies and creates solutions to improve system performance and availability.
- Facilitates root cause analysis of system issues to minimize impact and future occurrences.
- Creates system documentation/play book(s) and serves as a lead technical reviewer and contributor in requirements, design and code reviews.
- Typically serves as a resource to the business.
- Develops accurate estimates on work packages and ensures the accuracy of estimates developed by less experienced internal and third party team members.
- Analyzes and designs specifications for less experienced internal and third party team members to execute.
- Acts as a technical resource throughout the development life cycle.
- May also actively contribute to the technical and soft skills development of team members.
- Assists team leads and management with delegation of technical work packages to cross functional and third party team members for execution through the full development life cycle.
- Keeps management appropriately informed of progress and issues.
- Coordinates system application transition from development teams to maintenance and production teams, and/or constructs and implements necessary controls to assure system/application traceability.
- Bachelor’s degree or 4 additional years of related experience beyond the minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a degree
- 6 or more years of software development experience demonstrating depth of technical understanding within a specific I/T discipline(s)/technology(s)
*Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job level.*
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not be able to change your responses.
- 8 or more years of development experience with Java/J2EE technologies
- 4 or years in REST frameworks with focus on API development
- 2 or more years of Financial Industry experience working on payment or money transfer application systems
- Ability to design and implement container based APIs using container frameworks like OpenShift, Docker, or Kubernetes.
- Understanding of microservices architecture design and implementation
- Working experience with Gradle, GIT, GitHUB, GITLab, etc. around continuous integration and continuous delivery infrastructure
- Cloud infrastructure application development with vendors like AWS, Google or Microsoft.
- 2 or more years in AGILE methodology (Scrum, Lean, SAFe, etc.)
USAA Java Software Engineers create innovative solutions that impact our members. Collectively, we are:
- Curious and excited by new ideas
- Energized by a fast-paced environment
- Able to understand and translate business needs into leading-edge technology
- Comfortable working as part of a connected team, but self-motivated
- Community-focused, dependable and committee
- Exceptionally detail-oriented
USAA’s most valuable resource is our 28,000 employees. We promote a culture of diversity and inclusion, encouraging varied perspectives and ideas.
Our team enjoys world-class benefits, pay and highly competitive reward opportunities, including comprehensive healthcare, wellness and wealth building programs, employee resource groups, 401K matching dollar-for-dollar up to 8% of pay, career planning and continuing education.
We promote a strong work-life balance with a variety of on-site services and conveniences depending on location, including a daycare, health center and pharmacy, multiple dining options, company stores, covered parking and free fitness centers. USAA is a casual dress environment.
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits packages in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
USAA also offers a variety of on-site services and conveniences to help you manage your work and personal life, including seven cafeterias, two company stores and three fitness centers.
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.