Inpatient Coding Specialist at Intellis
Full or Part-Time Remote Inpatient Coding Specialist
Job Locations: US
Position Type: Temporary Full-Time
Medical Coding Specialist, Inpatient – Remote
The Medical Coding Specialist, Inpatient is responsible for accurately abstracting data into appropriate client electronic medical record systems, following the Official ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS Guidelines for Coding, UHDDS guidelines, and CMS directives.
Performs data entry of required abstracted patient information into the client’s information system. Assigns Present on Admission (POA) indicators according to AHA POA guidelines. Queries physicians when appropriate and interacts with Clinical Documentation staff as per account requirements. Maintains consistent coding accuracy rate of 95% or better while also meeting productivity standards.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assigns appropriate ICD-10-CM/PCS codes to inpatient accounts as per designated workflow
- Abstracts and enters coded data for hospital statistical and reporting requirements
- Assigns present on admission indicators and discharge dispositions
- Queries physicians to clarify conflicting, imprecise, incomplete, ambiguous, and/or inconsistent clinical information when appropriate
- Communicates documentation improvement opportunities and coding issues to appropriate personnel for follow up and resolution
- Communicates with Clinical Documentation Improvement and/or Revenue Cycle teams for follow up and reconciliation of accounts
- Maintains required productivity and quality requirements
- Maintains coding credential requirements
- Candidate must possess an approved AHIMA or AAPC coding credential
- Minimum 5 years’ coding experience recommended; 3 years of inpatient coding in an acute care setting required
- Must be proficient at ICD-10-PCS coding
Client Required Qualifications
- Software Skills: Meditech, Nuance Clintegrity
KEY SUCCESS ATTRIBUTES:
- Demonstrates strong collaboration skills
- Has strong analytic and problem-solving abilities and techniques
- Exhibit consistent initiative with strong drive for results and success
- Demonstrate commitment to a team environment
- Well-developed written, verbal, and presentation communication skills including deep listening and attention to detail
- Ability to self-motivate and self-direct
- Possess strong time management and organizational skills
- Commitment and adherence to company Core Values
- High level of integrity & ethical judgement
- Consistency and Reliability
- Meeting Standards
- We offer an excellent salary, full benefits package including 401(k) with company match and discretionary profit sharing, group medical, dental, vision, life, & short-term disability insurance, and PTO policy
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Sitting, talking, hearing and near vision are required over 90% of the time, while walking is required frequently throughout the day.
- Standing is required over 10% of the time. Feeling is required 90% of the time and reaching is required about 50% of the time. Bending, twisting and climbing are required, as in far vision, but only for 10% or less of the time. Low levels of lifting (10 pounds of less) is required about 25% of the time, while medium levels (20 to 40 pounds) of lifting and carrying are required less than 5% of the time.
- Ability to travel to field sites may be required up to 15% of the time.