Infrastructure Engineer at Cockroach Labs
- Location: Remote
Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, an open source, distributed SQL database. In addition to the open source version of the DB we offer CockroachCloud, a self-service, fully managed cloud offering of CockroachDB. We aim to build infrastructure that keeps pace with the world, so our developers can focus on what matters most: building the best products. Join us on our mission to Make Data Easy.
About the Role
CockroachDB provides the backbone for storing data on a global scale. We are looking for experienced software engineers who are excited about building the infrastructure that gives superpowers to engineers and enables CockroachCloud to scale fast, survive anything, and thrive everywhere. You will be creating the platforms that allow people and technologies to reach new heights by working on teams that have a commitment to excellence and a passion for collaboration.
- Build the infrastructure to build, test, and verify a globally distributed, elastic, indestructible SQL database for developers building modern applications.
- Use Go on the server-side and React/TypeScript on the client side, but if you don’t know it, you’ll learn while you’re here.
- Provide crucial feedback loops on all aspects of how software is built, run, and consumed by creating and maintaining data pipelines.
- Design, write and deliver software and systems to increase product reliability and organizational efficiency.
- Be responsible for the infrastructure that reduces complexity through automation, containers, Kubernetes, and other cloud native technologies.
In the first month, you will become an integrated member of our engineering team. You will become familiar with our existing internal and customer-facing production systems used to build, run and deploy CockroachDB and CockroachCloud. Cockroach Labs and our customers run CockroachDB across the major public cloud providers (AWS, GCP, Azure) and private data centers. We believe that it’s essential for you to take this first month to become familiar with our technology and our company.
After 3 months, you’ll be a fully-fledged member of the infrastructure teams. Depending on the infrastructure team you join you may be building our CI/CD pipelines, data pipelines, and the infrastructure for testing and verifying CockroachDB and CockroachCloud. Or you may be building the infrastructure that allows CockroachCloud to operate across multiple clouds at scale using Kubernetes and other powerful technologies.
As our team grows, you will have the opportunity to shape the direction of our infrastructure and processes. We want our engineers to have a phenomenal experience building our product, and you play a crucial role in making engineering at Cockroach a joy.
- A passion for working on complex technical products and have exposure to the design and creation of modern applications.
- Comfort using programming languages like Go, C/C++, Java, and Python.
- Experience with orchestration software such as Kubernetes or Pulumi.
- Experience with CI/CD tools such as TeamCity or Jenkins.
- A passion for building, wrangling and integrating data pipelines at scale.
- Experience building collaborative relationships with your colleagues. You enjoy being part of the code review process and partnering with your teammates on challenging problems.
- 5+ years of relevant experience is preferred.
- A BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
Peter Mattis – Co-founder and Chief Technology Officer
Peter works on a bit of everything, from low-level optimization of code to refining the overall design. He was thrust into file systems early in his career at Inktomi and then learned the true meaning of scalability while working on Gmail and Colossus at Google. Before stepping into the office in the morning, he will have nursed his CrossFit addiction and dealt with the chaos of a three kid morning routine. You can set your watch by his daily departure at 4:30 pm to have dinner with his family.
Isaac Wong – VP of Engineering
Isaac is responsible for the health of the engineering organization at Cockroach Labs. He partners closely with teams to ensure we have a balanced culture that promotes quality and innovation in pursuit of our goals. Before joining Cockroach Labs Isaac was in life sciences for 16 years with Medidata Solutions where he had a front row seat on the exciting ride from a 30 person startup to more than 2000 people worldwide. But the lure of distributed, resilient, and consistent SQL databases, along with the amazing technology and culture at Cockroach Labs proved too much. When not working he likes to draw, play the piano and search NYC for cannolis with his wife and kids.
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!