Index Director and Editor at Institute for Nonprofit News
INN Index Director & Editor
INN seeks a writer/editor with business case study experience to oversee the INN Index field study of the nonprofit news sector and develop year-around studies and reports.
Goals of the position are to expand knowledge of this emerging media field through case studies, the annual Index and learning from experiments in revenue, audience and product development. The director and editor will develop a portfolio of case studies drawing from Index data and other resources, plus member profiles and quick takes, and partner with researchers and other organizations to produce specialized reports.
About INN and the Index
INN and its members make up a fast-growing network of more than 240 independent, nonprofit news media. Together, they are expanding public service journalism across North America and finding new models for news. The INN Index launched in 2018 to give the field a consistent, repeatable field survey that can measure the growth of independent nonprofit newsrooms, identify trends and benchmark performance. The Index provides data to researchers, foundations and other stakeholders as well as participating members.
Role and responsibilities
The Index director and editor will be INN’s senior writer and editor covering the growth and challenges of nonprofit newsrooms. She or he will work with two senior Index partners — a project manager and a senior research analyst — on annual planning and production. Beyond that, the director will grow a portfolio of case studies, from quick takes on what is working and not among individual member newsrooms, trends that emerge from the Index data and other reports, member profiles and partnerships to identify and produce specialized studies. The resulting coverage will be published directly and through partners.
This is a hands-on job. The director can expect to regularly write case studies as well as assign and edit, drawing from a continual stream of new findings.
The Index director also works with other staff and partners to develop research and funding proposals for studies that merit a deeper dive; present findings and trends; field media interviews and help interpret findings for a variety of communications, such as newsletters, annual reports, blogs and social media posts. This is a new, full-time position reporting to INN’s Communications Director and working with all INN staff.
- Business, trade or academic publishing experience including production of accessible writing based on data and use cases
- Exceptional editing and writing skills.
- Ability to work with multiple writing and editing partners and consistently produce multimedia content to the style and standards of national news and journalism research publications.
- Strong interest and experience in journalism.
- Experience with digital media and the business of media are pluses.
- Familiarity with nonprofit business models and organizational culture, especially as pertains to journalism in the nonprofit arena
- Acute attention to accuracy, and the storytelling ability to make complex material accessible for multiple audiences
- Basic knowledge of databases and work with statistics
- Ability to identify trends in data, test and explore hypotheses with the help of a research analyst and member editors
- Prioritize and package case study types within an ongoing portfolio, and to get ahead of emerging story lines and trends as they arise
- At least five years’ experience in relevant work
- Ability to structure your work, comfort working with a remote team and partners
WHAT INN OFFERS:
INN offers a competitive salary and benefits. The position may be based in our LA office or remote. INN is a distributed team. We value diversity, work in the open and do everything we can to give back to the journalism community.
INN is an equal opportunity employer and we seek to increase diversity in our own operation and in the news media. We encourage applications from communities traditionally underrepresented in this field.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!