- Remote, USA
Who We Are
Thinkful is a new type of school that brings high-growth tech careers to ambitious people everywhere. We provide 1-on-1 learning through our network of industry experts, hiring partners, and online platform to deliver a structured and flexible education. Thinkful offers programs in web development, data science, and design, with in-person communities in up-and-coming tech hubs around the U.S. To join the Thinkful network visit thinkful.com.
As our In-House Counsel you’ll meaningful impact our scaling efforts as the Thinkful continues its rapid growth and development Working collaboratively with team leaders across Thinkful to build our state academic licensing process and establish a company-wide compliance framework. As we rapidly expand our products the communities we serve, it’s an exciting opportunity to apply your existing legal knowledge in an evolving market. You may even shape the landscape! You will initially report to the CEO and later a CFO.
The ideal candidate will have a track record of bringing companies into compliance with state regulatory agencies. This likely includes a substantial number of years experience driving project completion and advising executives on the implementation of sound solutions to regulatory, compliance, and other legal issues.
- Play an ongoing role in the growth and development of our mission-driven and venture-backed company as a trusted advisor to leadership, university partnership teams, finance, HR, and others
- Ensure that the company conducts its business in compliance with applicable laws and regulations by owning the state-by-state registration and renewal processes
- Create and maintain processes and systems that streamline the development, creation, negotiation, and approval of legal documents, agreements, and activities
- Partner with other departments and company leaders to develop compliant policies and practices that drive outcomes for students
- Oversee Thinkful’s legal matters, with a specific emphasis on corporate contracts, university contracts, and general agreements as we grow and expand our relationships across industries
- Oversee the selection, retention, management, and evaluation of all outside counsel
- Stay informed and advise on potential impacts of changing laws and regulations
- Law degree, admitted to the bar in the United States, with experience as a legal counsel in both firm and corporate environments
- Relevant experience working with state regulators
- Ability to thrive in a startup where there is frequent change, high pressure, and a need to act with a sense of urgency
- Demonstrated experience across diverse and relevant legal sectors
- Ability to quickly learn new legal concepts, such as higher education regulatory provisions, new data security laws, etc
- Ability to balance research, risk, and practical applications while partnering as an advisor to Thinkful team members and leaders
- Clear commitment to maintaining exceptional ethical standards and high quality work
- Exceptional communication, negotiation, and problem solving skills
- Passion for education and our mission
- A drive to work hard and a plan for how you can refresh and recharge while working in a startup
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive base salary and equity
- Healthcare, dental, and vision insurance are 100% covered for individuals and meaningfully covered for families
- 401k plan options
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Expand your skills with free Thinkful courses and a Mentor, plus discounts for friends and family
- Commuter Benefits Card via WageWorks
- Paid Parental Leave
If you are interested in this position please provide your resume and a cover letter explaining your interest in the role.
Thinkful can only hire candidates who are eligible to work in the United States.
We stand against any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status. Thinkful provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants. If you’re talented and driven, please apply.