Impact Associate, Paralegal at Protect Democracy
Protect Democracy seeks highly motivated individuals to join our team as Impact Associates/Paralegals. In this role, you will have the opportunity to contribute to a wide range of our impact projects, which span policy reform and advocacy, litigation, strategic communications, research, and data analysis.
You are the ideal candidate if you bring paralegal experience and a flexible, action-oriented mindset; excellent writing, research, and communication skills with a keen eye for detail; and a collaborative, team-oriented approach. In joining our diverse team of lawyers, policy experts, legislative advocates, communication strategists, data analysts, and technologists, you will have the chance to hone your skills in litigation, project management, writing, and communications, and over time develop expertise in one or more areas of our work.
We plan to hire multiple candidates for this role. You can work from any location in the United States, and candidates from diverse backgrounds and from across the political and ideological spectrum are strongly encouraged to apply.
Impact Associates/Paralegals will:
- Support litigation efforts by assisting attorneys to prepare for court appearances, contributing to the preparation of legal memos and briefs, coordinating and conducting court filings, assisting with the discovery process, and designing and maintaining systems to track legal proceedings
- Cite-check, fact-check, proofread, and assist with drafting court filings, reports, letters, and other public-facing documents
- Engage with clients, opposing counsel, partner organizations, and other external stakeholders
- Conduct research, synthesize findings, and draft related memoranda, reports, and other communications
- Draft and publish external-facing communications materials, including press releases, tweets, talking points, outreach emails, op-eds, and blog posts
- Prepare, submit, and track Freedom of Information Act requests, and draft and assist attorneys with filing Freedom of Information Act complaints
- Design and curate content for Protect Democracy’s website
- Plan and organize events and convenings
- Manage and coordinate projects, developing work plans, and tracking and communicating progress towards goals
- Strategize with other team members and actively contribute ideas during impact and litigation project brainstorming sessions
- Propose new impact projects to advance Protect Democracy’s mission
- At least one year of professional work experience
- Previous paralegal and cite-checking experience
- Strong writing, research, editing, and proofreading skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Rigorous attention to detail and the highest standards for excellence in execution
- Project management experience and the ability to manage up, down, and sideways
- Ability to track, prioritize, and balance an assortment of ongoing responsibilities
- Willingness to learn new research, communications, legal and policy skills and processes
- Nimbleness and an ability to perform well in a rapid-paced environment
- Comfort with an open culture that values giving and receiving feedback
- Enthusiasm for team collaboration and working with people with diverse backgrounds and characteristics, and openness to a diversity of ideas and perspectives
- Passionate commitment to the preservation of democratic norms and institutions and ensuring those structures serve all people
About Protect Democracy:
- Open to applicants from all over the country. Location requirements are flexible. The only requirement is that your location be one that allows you to complete the demands of the position and mission. We currently have staff in Washington, DC, New York, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Michigan, California, and elsewhere around the country. Prior to the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, we offered shared workspaces in those locations for staff members who enjoy working in an office environment, and we are reopening our workspaces in line with current guidance.
- Commitment to a diverse workplace. Protect Democracy is an equal opportunity employer. Our culture principles emphasize that there is strength in diversity as we believe diverse teams are more innovative, creative, and productive. Protect Democracy encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.
- Competitive pay and phenomenal benefits. This position is full-time and offers a salary and benefits commensurate with experience and designed to be at the leading edge of competitiveness for the social justice and non-profit sector. While we cannot match for-profit sector salaries, our staff generally make more than typical nonprofit salaries. And our benefits package is equivalent to the most competitive for-profit firms. Our intent is that finance not be a bar to people who want to do this work on the theory that paying for top talent will result in greater impact towards our mission. In addition to a competitive salary, our benefits package includes three months of paid parental leave, a 401(k) plan in which we match employee contributions dollar for dollar up to 6% of salary, and full coverage for an excellent health care plan.
- Ample opportunities for personal & professional development. Candidates who do not meet all listed criteria should still apply, as our organizational structure focuses on providing mentorship and opportunities for professional growth.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!